Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XDP removing PNG transparency when I open/edit/save direct. How to keep transparency?

XDP removing PNG transparency when I open/edit/save direct. How to keep transparency?

Hi,

I'd appreciate help.
    I'm using XDP feature "photo editing", in which I can open a file, edit it, and XDP saves the original as a .xar file under the folder "masters" (snapshot below).
    However, when I perform this process using a PNG file with transparency, after saving the file XDP removes the transparency.
    I also record my screen showing the issue: https://goo.gl/aWgXsB
    How to keep transparency after saving the file?

Thanks!
    Carlos_Cadu

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sjCDMqh.png 
Views:	141 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	117953

Default Re: XDP removing PNG transparency when I open/edit/save direct. How to keep transpare

Ola Carlos

The transparency should not be lost. I export directly from Xara as PNG - True Color + Alpha. I have not enabled the Master's option but I think that keeps the original image and not the modified image in case you need the original (Master) image.

Default Re: XDP removing PNG transparency when I open/edit/save direct. How to keep transpare

Ola gwpriester!

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The transparency should not be lost. I export directly from Xara as PNG - True Color + Alpha.
    When I export, the PNG transparency is applied properly. However, the transparency isn't applied by XDP output when I edit the original, as I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I have not enabled the Master's option but I think that keeps the original image and not the modified image in case you need the original (Master) image.
    If set "preserve original" + "as a .xar file with the edits", when you open PNG (c:\Image.png), edit and save it, the original is replaced automatically by the Xara editing. The original is moved/embed to a .xar file (c:\Masters\Image.xar).
    This feature is very handy to start editing from an already existing image (png, jpg) and XDP cares of creating the .xar file and update the original file with the editing automatically.
    I'm using this process for applying images on video. The video editing software (VEGAS Pro) creates the snapshot (PNG) in the timeline, then I just open that file from the timeline, edit and save, and XDP automatically update the file in the timeline. I don't need to concern creating a .xar file, export .png and then add the file into the other software timeline. Everything happens under the hood. The integration (video-image editing) would be perfect if it wasn't the inconvenience I'm facing when the PNG has transparency, since XDP automatic output is generated without alpha (no transparency).

Quote Originally Posted by cadudesun View Post
    The integration (video-image editing) would be perfect if it wasn't the inconvenience I'm facing when the PNG has transparency, since XDP automatic output is generated without alpha (no transparency).
    I'm not sure how Xara handles saving .png files in this situation but I can imagine that a registry setting may address this issue.

you have probably not told the program to save it with transparency

open a new blank photo - create an image with transparency - and click the save button - you should see this dialog box:

Name:	stt.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	117962

click on the button 'settings' and you should see this box appear

Name:	tt.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	117963

make sure colour depth is set to true colour + alpha as shown and click apply

you can now click the save button on the first box and it should save with alpha [transparency] and continue to do this for the rest of your session...

EDIT: if you need to make this setting on an existing photo - choose save as [from the file menu] instead of the save button - you can choose the same file name and say ok to overwriting [assuming you are using default 96dpi otherwise you would need to set that as well as the colour depth, using the bitmap size tab on the second screen shot above] - once that's done you should be ok for the rest of the session with that photo just by clicking save as normal
    Last edited by handrawn; 14 June 2017 at 10:35 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Handrawn, what the OP is trying to achieve requires another routine than you describe. See the screenshot in his first post.

it's my understanding that when editing photos directly, as opposed to importing them into a document, it will always default to true colour saves unless you tell it otherwise - this is the only way I know to tell it otherwise... [it does not default to the export dialog box, and the settings button is easy to miss]

I don't think the problem is in the external bitmap editor transfer proccess - but I could be mis-reading it...
    Last edited by handrawn; 14 June 2017 at 09:50 PM. Reason: add stuff
    Nothing lasts forever...

I checked - something subtle is going on here: if you open the saved PNG that is saved with a xar file in a master folder, then even if you later open the PNG in xara, it opens the xar file from the masters folder so the transparency is still there - but if you open the saved PNG in another app [eg affinity photo or photoshop] you see thet unless you told it otherwise it was saved without the transparency

since Carlos is using the PNG's to form a timeline, unless I am mis-understanding his video and later post, what I suggested should fix that

I don't think editing in another app even comes into it here [my first thought, but Carlos does not actually mention it as far as I can see] - I think the screenshot in the first post is to show the top half of the dialog box, which Carlos thought would apply to the saved PNG as well as the XAR, which it does not in respect of transparency

and there again I could still be completely wrong
    Nothing lasts forever...

You're right, handrawn, it should work.

@cadudeson: I took a look at the Help file and found the following under "Photo Editing" with regards to the settings you showed in your first post. So, transparency should be preserved, when using the appropriate setting. Perhaps a bug?

Bitmap transfer

Always use bmp
    Images will always be transferred as bmp files. This is the fastest way to transfer images to and from the bitmap editor, but bmp does not support transparency. So if you want to edit bitmaps that include some transparency, or you want to introduce some transparency while editing the image, don't use this option.
    Always use png
    Images will be transferred to the bitmap editor as uncompressed png files, preserving any transparency in the image. Most editors will return images as compressed png files in this case and this may be slow for large images. Use this option if you want to edit 24bpp (opaque) bitmaps, but you want to introduce some transparency while editing in the bitmap editor.
    Automatic
    This is the default option. Xara Designer Pro X will automatically decide whether to use bmp or png to transfer the bitmap to the bitmap editor. If the bitmap does not have any transparency (24bpp) bmp will be used. Otherwise png will be used. This option should be fine for most editing, but if you want to introduce some transparency to your image while editing it, choose the png option instead.

like I said I don't think Carlos is doing that

what I think he is doing is saving out from the video editor in PNG - editing these PNG in xara and resaving out, but loosing the PNG transparency when he does this
    Nothing lasts forever...