Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Changing web hosting to Xara

I posted a few weeks ago about replacing an existing history society website (hosted by UK.net) with a new Xara one (still hosted by UK.net) while keeping a subfolder, generated by a genealogy database, produced by someone else on a different computer. Having returned from holiday I am told the goal posts have changed which is a bit unfortunate because I think I mostly understood your answer to my original question.

The history society has renewed the domain name but not the web hosting and so I now need to publish to Xara not UK.net. There is no longer the original complication of a subfolder. Can you advise how I go about moving from one host to another please? Presumably just publishing to Xara won't do it.

Regards
    Jenny

Default Re: Changing web hosting to Xara

Jenny - Do some comparison shopping between Xara (actually I think Magix) and some of the other web hosting companies and see if Xara provides all you need. I use a separate web hosting company and have not done this comparison.

Jenny, don't just lurch into hosting with Magix / Xara. Look for an ISP that offers CPanel functionality.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, could elaborate on that? Why is that important?

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Acorn, could elaborate on that? Why is that important?
    cPanel offers access to a range of features that Magix / Xara don't. cPanel has things like adding WordPress, Drupal, MySQL; supports FTP, PHP server-side scripting, Ruby on Rails, PERL; probably, unlimited storage and email addresses for your domain; autoresponders, spamware; sub-domains; SSL, at an extra cost; runs on Apache.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Totally escaped me until now that cPanel offered all these services and features. I thought it was just a website management tool, a fancy FTP app. Thanks for explaining.

Cpanel is very useful and has many features none the least of which is managing your website. You can set up email accounts, configure spam filtering for the email accounts, access utilities and a whole lot more. This page explains some of the features. https://cpanel.com/products/

I am not sure but I think that some of the features and services may be specific to each web host.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post

I am not sure but I think that some of the features and services may be specific to each web host.
    Thanks for the link, Gary. So, if I understand you correctly, when cPanel is offered by a provider you still have to check which services/features are actually available.

So, if I understand you correctly, when cPanel is offered by a provider you still have to check which services/features are actually available.
    I am guessing, but I think that is correct.

Jenny - Have we totally confused/overwhelmed you?

Of course you have! As I don't need to do anything tricky, just add, remove, update pages, I'm inclined to go with Xara anyway. It seems like the easiest solution.

Jenny