Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text not importing properly.

Hi,
    I want to import text from Word 2016, generally I would select the text I require to import into XDPX and select unformatted text which I would then format to suit the page.

However, because for one site it is imperative that I keep the formatting identical to the original (official council minutes) I used to select the required text, copy it and then when I pasted into a text box in XDPX I would choose Rich Text Format (which I know is not the prefferred option on this forum).

I have used this for several years with no issues, however the way it works seems to have changed, it seems that the text imports into the text box, but within a secondary text box and a new locked page background.

I probably haven't explained this well so I am including a XDP file. Could well be I am doing something totally stupid (v.likely) or that something has changed between Word 2016 and XDP. In the included file I have shown two text boxes that ought to look similar, except that one is importing as unformatted text, while the other is importing as Rich Text Format

Having said all that, I find that XDP now imports PDF's much more accurately than before. I have to import a very large .pdf magazine type document originally produced in 'Publisher' that used to be a total menace, but now it imports with total precision. So well done XARA.

Kind regards

Martin
    Attached Files Attached Files
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'
    'The meaning of your communication is what I understand it to be!' -
    'The meaning of my communication is what you understand it to be' (I hope)

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0, i7-8700K CPU

Default Re: Text not importing properly.

This has been raised here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...kground-(bug-) and also flagged to Xara separately.

It certainly is annoying.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,
    Thanks for that.
    So import as unformatted until it is sorted. I did notice the background, I just unlocked it and deleted it.

There is another problem that I did not mention, if I try to import as HTML I get a warning that very serious error has occurred in XDP and that the program must close (which usuually means going to Task Manager and closing from there).

At least it is not my stodgy fingers getting it wrong!

Very irritating. But at least the .pdf import is good

Many thanks
    Martin
    'If every step forward takes you two steps backwards - turn round and walk home!'
    'The meaning of your communication is what I understand it to be!' -
    'The meaning of my communication is what you understand it to be' (I hope)

Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming 2.0, i7-8700K CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Riftvalley View Post
    Hi Acorn,
    Thanks for that.
    So import as unformatted until it is sorted. I did notice the background, I just unlocked it and deleted it.

There is another problem that I did not mention, if I try to import as HTML I get a warning that very serious error has occurred in XDP and that the program must close (which usuually means going to Task Manager and closing from there).

At least it is not my stodgy fingers getting it wrong!

Very irritating. But at least the .pdf import is good

Many thanks
    Martin
    Martin, I have logged that error as well, so hopefully the 365 program will spring into immediate action and hoover away the bug!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Probably the best course of action is to export the Word document as a PDF & import that into Xara.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host