Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Why does copying Word texts include the full background? (bug?)

Dear Xara,

Has the way to copy texts from Word to Xara changed?
    Every time I want to import a small text it includes a full white background. It adds this to the background layer.
    This is really annoying because I want to copy small texts and every time it adds the full page.
    In previous versions I could just copy full pages while retained text styles like headers.

How can I only import the text, but keeping the text styles (like headings, etc)?

See the attached screenshot of the attached white background.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara background copy.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	117876

Thanks in advance!

Bug Re: Why does copying Word texts include the full background? (bug?)

Quote Originally Posted by Costanel View Post
    Dear Xara,

Has the way to copy texts from Word to Xara changed?
    Every time I want to import a small text it includes a full white background. It adds this to the background layer.
    This is really annoying because I want to copy small texts and every time it adds the full page.
    In previous versions I could just copy full pages while retained text styles like headers.

How can I only import the text, but keeping the text styles (like headings, etc)?

See the attached screenshot of the attached white background.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara background copy.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	117876

Thanks in advance!
    I don't know if this new behaviour is Xara trying to be smart but there are three separate ways of pasting a block of MS Word text:

1. Rich Text Format - this seems to cature the entire page background (but not the heading and footer, which would be useful) and paste this into my locked Page background and the selected text is pasted into the current layer.
    2. HTML Format - pastes the selection but with destination page formatting.
    3. Enhanced Metafile - text as separate line, indeterminately positioned.

It does depend on the task you are carrying out but I typically go for the RTF and it is more than irksome to have to unload the background to delete the spurious rectangle.

@Xara - can you demonstrate meaningful User Stories for such a kludge?

RTF: -3
    HTML: -1
    Meta: -2

I would rather copy into a text editor and then into Xara so clearly this is not Desktop Publishing anymore.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Why does copying Word texts include the full background? (bug?)

I am not sure if this clouds the issue or not.

I use LibreOffice and my files are saved as Word documents ver. 2003. I can copy and paste from LibreOffice into Xara Designer without any background coming with the text. When I use Ctrl+V, the text comes in as the current style selected in Xara. Now I do not see the option for the three ways that Acorn listed. I thought that I have seen this before but that could be with other word processors when pasting text. I do see these options if I was to import a file but not pasting text.

Ray

It indeed gives these 3 options when importing. The first one always worked perfectly without including the background and retaining the styles (headings, etc).
    This really makes Desktop Publishing a lot more difficult, since I now manually have to reselect all the bold, cursive and header types.

Somehow this changed in the newest version of Xara, I fail to see why. Please Xara, can you fix this?

I just checked that in Xara 365 that if you paste in HTML text from a web page in comes in as text with no option to select HTML. However in Ver 11 you do have the option of pasting in as HTML. Xara has changed how they are handling this in the new version.

Ray

can't remember the outcome last time this came up, maybe xara will refresh our memory on this one... has to be unintentional: who would want the word background, certainly who would want there to be no option that actually works without it...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...