Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Compatible apps

Default Compatible apps

I had xara web designer 9, and recently upgraded to 10, or perhaps another name. It's the premium edition.

Because I don't use it a lot, I find the learning curve with mouse on, off, over under.....all confusing.
    I find graphics that "move" under layers and it's not even fun to use anymore.

Problem is I'm wondering if all the HTML files created by xara are proprietary? Is there another program I could use?

I've seen some videos, but none has cleared my confusion. I'm a 63 y/o sole proprietor of a company that sells distance learning nationally and in a few small countries. I do not need a lot of fluff, however. I use a store through Ecwid.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Default Re: Compatible apps

Have a look at the pre-designed templates. You can modify these as need be but all the heavy lifting has been done for you.

The files xara generate are industry standard so are not proprietary in that way but they are certainly not suitable for post-efiting by any application.

thanks for reading my query. after numerous calls to my internet provider (host), Ecwid (hosts my online store) and Xara knowledge base, i learned that somehow the html coding on one of my web pages where my store is, had duplicate links and redirects, causing my store NOT to work. i got my site working by uploading a Xara backup from 18 months ago.
    Since xara will not let me look at the page html, i downloaded an html editor. I then viewed the page that was causing the problem, along with the same page from 18 months ago. The new page had more that 100 EXTRA lines of html code
    the only thing i can point to is, (and confirmed by Ecwid) is that when i tried to create a mobile page a couple months ago, Xara designer made changes in this page that screwed up the store/merchant i had embedded in the page. the programmers at Ecwid had a fairly simple fix, by going into the "backend" of my page. Once i mentioned Xara, it changed the entire scenario. all they could do was refer me to a couple older posts on the forum.
    in the end, i wound up using the old backup file, and made changes to that.
    its unfortunate that access to page codes is not available. my site is working again, although i would have liked to have a mobile page version.

its unfortunate that access to page codes is not available
    Richie, you can access the html code at any time, either from within the Browser / View Page Source, or by opening the index.htm file in a text editor from within a local file or an online file.

However, Xara is a WYSIWYG site creator and it's pointless editing the html file it generates. You must be putting the Ecwid store in Xara using placeholders. Any errors being created are probably down to the code pasted into these placeholders.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host