Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mark321's THIRTY LOGOS assignments

I really liked the Austin Run one, not so keen on this one but it does achieve a retro game look if that's what you wanted.

I also signed up but not had a chance to do one yet but they wouldn't be up to this standard, keep it going!

These would look great on your website when you get around to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Mark,

I liked the Austin Run logo. I think this came out great and I could totally see this being used on posters for advertisement of the run.

With that being said, your Spark logo does not do it for me. I am not a fan of the large lighting bolt nor the eye. Sorry. I would like a couple of small lighting bolts coming off the end of the word Sparked. Not sure what I would do with the eye.

Keep up the good work.

How about and update on using Adobe for this exercise and overall how to you find it as compared to when you use Xara? Do you think you would of done a better job using Xara because of the tools and easy of use?

Ray
    Ray,

I think AI has many many more options than XDP but having said that, XDP is significantly EASIER to figure out and understand. As for AI, I feel it has a lot more potential because of it's VAST array of option available to me. And this helps because sometimes I can't figure some tool out (magic wand drives me crazy here) but I can ALWAYS find some other way to do the exact same outcome, just with a different set of tools. It helps to be creative and not to let your tools get in the way of your creativity. And it helps to pay attention to the images you have in your mind because I can create in internal image that looks cool but I don't have the skill sets with AI to re-create the image so I improvise until I learn the tools better. Fortunately, if one wishes to become proficient with AI, it is better to start with XDP first. Learn it. Then cross-over THOSE skill sets to AI later. I've been using XDP for 2 1/2 years now and I've very quickly acquired necessary skills to produce most things without wondering "how the heck do I do that?". Skills with the clipping mask in XDP is a lot simpler to acquire than AI. In AI you have to learn it more "in-depth" whereas in Xara you just clip view and your done. You don't have to know what the program actually did in order to use it. Not so with AI. You have to understand HOW the program does the clipping mask. And I'm still not sure if those things are the same or not. They seem so different to me.

But I use the magic wand in other programs and it makes perfect sense to me but in AI, I have no clue why I can't just pick it up and use it. It doesn't work for me at all, almost like it's broke or something. But I'm sure it's just me not entirely understanding how it works. Drives me crazy. So, I develop a "work-around" method until I do understand it better.

I'm glad you like my Austin Run logo because I was having a hard time with that one. Mainly because the client made me make pictures in my head that I couldn't even begin to create in real life but after several hours of trying to I fell back on the "safety net" of my skills and made the logo simple and clean, no fancy stuff. And I think it works too. And I'm sorry that you didn't like my today's logo for SPARKED as I was able to envision a somewhat easy logo to create. I chose the red eye because it looks serious and gamers take their gaming "seriously" so I thought that would be appropriate for them. Albeit, if I were creating it for me, I would have made it less "serious". I just wanted to please the client's clientele.

Mark

Assignment LOGO #9

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paint.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	117997

This client was looking to redesign their logo. The original logo had a paint brush for the letter "i" in "paint". And since I had no real communication with an actual client, I decided for them to keep the paint brush icon in the word. Also, the original logo was all white letters on a black background (reversed text) but no colors. The client explained, in the brief, that they wanted COLOR in the logo, for sure. I can't say I blame them. The client also said that they wanted their new logo to be more "fun". So, this is the image that I originally sketched and then later turned into an actual logo on the computer.

Impressions? I found this logo fairly easy to create. I had fun designing it. Also, I had to round off all the corners in the paint brush icon so as to match the font style more closely. Cons? I can't see any. This font works small scale as well as large. And, this company is a cell phone app that people can use to take pictures of a scene and the Paint app will create a color scheme based entirely on the photo you took with your cell phone. Incidentally, I have just such an app on my phone for real but can't remember the name of the app right now, mainly because I rarely ever use it.

So, what do you think? Did I create a "fun" logo? If you were the client would you be happy?

Mark

I decided that the paint brush (the "i" in paint) needed to be closer to the "a". I think the second image looks better because of the ligatures.

Name:	Paint.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	118000 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paint 2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	118001
    Last edited by Mark321; 16 June 2017 at 05:40 PM.

Assignment LOGO #10

Name:	Anchor 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	118005

This company (Anchor) wanted a logo that did NOT include the color blue, which, I must admit is a wiser branding device. So, I set about making said logo. This is one of those logos, that, for me, no matter what I sketch it will not be the final image. I start out with one idea and then wind up going in another direction entirely. This logo was fun to make even though I spent forever and a day getting everything "just so". Anchor is a clothing store that specializes in nautical style clothing and many of their outfits are actually cut from real sail materials.

Impressions? I REALLY like this image. I love the text bleeding off the background square. And I love the reverse type, giving it some contrast. Con? I wish I could have found the rotate tool sooner, took me a while to get the anchor the way I wanted it. Incidentally, the anchor, I chose, from several that were on pixabay. Many looked angry instead of friendly but I did manage to find a friendly anchor but I had to add an upper cross bar to it so that it would look more like a classical anchor.

I had a devil of a time trying to print this image out. My printer has gone loopey and won't print. maybe it'll behave later today and let me print my logo.

So, how'd I do? Is this image satisfactory to you? Did I make the grade?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark321 View Post
    Assignment LOGO #10

Name:	Anchor 2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	118005

This company (Anchor) wanted a logo that did NOT include the color blue, which, I must admit is a wiser branding device. So, I set about making said logo. This is one of those logos, that, for me, no matter what I sketch it will not be the final image. I start out with one idea and then wind up going in another direction entirely. This logo was fun to make even though I spent forever and a day getting everything "just so". Anchor is a clothing store that specializes in nautical style clothing and many of their outfits are actually cut from real sail materials.

Impressions? I REALLY like this image. I love the text bleeding off the background square. And I love the reverse type, giving it some contrast. Con? I wish I could have found the rotate tool sooner, took me a while to get the anchor the way I wanted it. Incidentally, the anchor, I chose, from several that were on pixabay. Many looked angry instead of friendly but I did manage to find a friendly anchor but I had to add an upper cross bar to it so that it would look more like a classical anchor.

I had a devil of a time trying to print this image out. My printer has gone loopey and won't print. maybe it'll behave later today and let me print my logo.

So, how'd I do? Is this image satisfactory to you? Did I make the grade?

Mark
    Mark I like it, especially the font, which reminds me of a wacky set of moorings.

I did feels the items need to be united more closely.

My suggestion attempts this:

Name:	anchor.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	118006

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Mark I like it, especially the font, which reminds me of a wacky set of moorings.

I did feels the items need to be united more closely.

My suggestion attempts this:

Name:	anchor.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	118006

Acorn
    Acorn,

I like your idea!

Name:	Anchor 2 Mockup.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	118007

Quote Originally Posted by Mark321 View Post
    Acorn,

I like your idea!

Name:	Anchor 2 Mockup.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	118007
    Mark, that works! Nice to have the opportunity to bounce ideas.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Mark, that works! Nice to have the opportunity to bounce ideas.

Acorn

Assignment LOGO #11

Name:	Sweets flat logo.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	118008 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sweets Mockup.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	118009

Today's logo is for a candy store in the U.K. The client wanted a logo that would be used as signage for the store front. And they wanted a mockup as well. They specifically asked, also, for the title of the store, Sweets, to have the words "candy shop" as well. When I was sketching this image, the idea of a peppermint hard candy came to mind so I incorporated it into the logo. The color scheme came directly from the color scheme library in AI, called Candy (I think).

Impressions? I found this image making me want some candy too (I want to go get some candy)! I love this image because of its swashes which made the image more delicious. Cons? The "w" in the title was too swashy so I chose to make the "w" a little more plain. And although I am aware that this is just a fictional client, it was still fun designing their logo just the same.

So, what do you think? Should I have removed the light blue stroke on the word "Sweets" (I felt it needed it due to the light pink letters)? If you were the client, would you enjoy this mockup?

Mark