Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Mark321's THIRTY LOGOS assignments

I believe I miss labeled yesterday's assignment as #3. When in fact it was #4.

Today's assignment is LOGO #5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WildLife Logo Mockup.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	117926

WildLife is a wild life habitat for animals around the world. It is a non-profit organization and (I assume) is privately owned and operated. They want a logo that is predominately an icon but text too is fine. I spent a little time on the sketchbook, realizing that I am not an artist and can't draw an animal. When I went to the computer, I was deciding on a lion as my icon. And I DID try my hand at drawing a "cartoon" lion (flat design) but I found out after quite some time that I suck at drawing lions too, even on the computer. So, I decided to find an iconic image of a lion on pixabay. I found one that was perfect for what I needed. And it looked FANTASTIC with text!

Impressions? I love this image, albeit it's not perfect (at least not the mockup anyhow). The slogan is not spaced correctly. But after an eternity at the computer, I've decided to quit while I was ahead. Cons? I HATE making the mockup! The reason is because when I went to save it as a jpeg, there was "something" on the palette that I could not find in the layers guide and I could not see it even when I put the image into wire view. So, I saved it with this HUGE bounding box that was about twice the size of the image I had created. Then I opened the jpeg in AI and cropped the jpeg and then traced it with the bitmap tracer (built in).

So, did I create a nice logo or not? If you were the client would you like this logo? I would like to think it's an excellent logo but a terrible mockup ad.

Mark

Angry lion. Not so much the mouth but the eyes. I would drop the giraffe and elephant as they only detract. I like the tagline.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Angry lion. Not so much the mouth but the eyes. I would drop the giraffe and elephant as they only detract. I like the tagline.
    Thanks, Mike! I also changed the background to white. I like it better this way.

Name:	WildLife Logo Mockup 2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	117927

Does this next image look less angry eyes? I tried warping the face just a tiny bit to see if the expression changed.

Views:	104 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	117928

I think it does! And it didn't change the face too much. Yeah!

I cleaned up the tagline so that it would read better and I removed the "gray" areas in the face of the lion so that it would look more "iconic". Plus, as a side benefit, taking out the gray also made the lion look less angry.

Views:	105 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	117931

Now I found something else that needed my attention. The caps in "Wild and Life" should not have been caps but all small caps only so that they would flow more smoothly around the lion's head:

Views:	108 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	117932
    Last edited by Mark321; 13 June 2017 at 01:38 AM.

Assignment LOGO #6

Name:	1 800 RoseBud.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	117935 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	97 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	117936

1-800-Rosebud is an online flower shop that sells flowers and gifts for any occasion. They wanted a wordmark that was legible at small sizes and a flower (it could be a rose or other flower). They said that they would prefer to have warm colors over the cool colors. I sketched a handful of ideas and went right away to work on this image. Surprisingly, the name on a curved path just didn't look good (even though I used the exact same path as the stem of the rose icon). Other paths didn't work either; it was just too messy looking. So, I settled on a normal straight line path. The rose was fairly easy to construct once I had my image down on paper. The colors came from a swatch that had flower colors in it.

Impressions? I really like the slanted "o" in rose and the flower pointing the change in color in the word "rose". The mockup was more fun than the wordmark (the flower was fun too.). I enjoy couching the work I do in mockups. It lets the client see the logo in context. Cons? The only thing that might could be different would be to make the flower stem pink too.

So, how'd I do? Is this something you feel a client might like? You're the judge!

Mark

Mark,

Did you try replacing the "o" with the rose and have the stem under the rest of the word, kind of like an underline?

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Mark,

Did you try replacing the "o" with the rose and have the stem under the rest of the word, kind of like an underline?

Ray

Views:	95 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	117939

Ray, great minds think alike. I though about that. But I also considered that it would also make the name illegible at small sizes.

I wish I could have changed the look of the word "Rosebud" but alas, anything done to the word would almost certainly change the readability of the word at small sizes. Kindda sucks that I couldn't do that though.

Mark

P.S...I did create a rose in the "o" (see attached image). Is it legible to you at small sizes?

I think this flower looks more "authentic":

Attachment 117940

Mark,

Can't see the flower in the "O" at small sizes. Your last attachment came in as invalided.

Ray

I have no clue why that last attachment didn't work.

But I still wasn't quite happy with that last image. The scale of the texts were too mediocre. So, I made the heading bigger and the logo smaller. Better contrast:

Name:	1 800 RoseBud RGB.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	117942