ID:	117875

Default Re: Mark321's THIRTY LOGOS assignments

Assignment LOGO #2:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Grind Logo.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	117877

This logo is for a coffee shop in Seattle. There are only 5 shops so far and the company doesn't want the color "brown" in the logo, tired of seeing brown. My sketches started with the proverbial coffee mug but found it to trite for my tastes. Instead I brainstormed other associations for coffee time and came up with "strong morning coffee". So, I settled on the sun as my iconic image. It took me forever and a freakin' day to come up with the perfect font.

Impressions? I am pleased with this image and actually LOVE LOVE LOVE the ad campaign I placed the logo inside of a mockup ad. This logo has the ability to scale down and look way cool scaled way up. Cons? I took a while trying out different color schemes but decided a black-and-white color scheme fit the bill the best and it gave strong impact to the image which was in keeping with the idea of "strong coffee", which, I have, over the years, discovered most people prefer it that way (I personally don't).

So, what do you think of my design? Is it any good? Did I create an eye-catching image? You decide!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark321 View Post
    Assignment LOGO #2:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Grind Logo.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	117877

This logo is for a coffee shop in Seattle. There are only 5 shops so far and the company doesn't want the color "brown" in the logo, tired of seeing brown. My sketches started with the proverbial coffee mug but found it to trite for my tastes. Instead I brainstormed other associations for coffee time and came up with "strong morning coffee". So, I settled on the sun as my iconic image. It took me forever and a freakin' day to come up with the perfect font.

Impressions? I am pleased with this image and actually LOVE LOVE LOVE the ad campaign I placed the logo inside of a mockup ad. This logo has the ability to scale down and look way cool scaled way up. Cons? I took a while trying out different color schemes but decided a black-and-white color scheme fit the bill the best and it gave strong impact to the image which was in keeping with the idea of "strong coffee", which, I have, over the years, discovered most people prefer it that way (I personally don't).

So, what do you think of my design? Is it any good? Did I create an eye-catching image? You decide!

Mark
    Mark, I read "The Grind" initially as "The Grinch".
    The grinder should invoke a grinding action with a smaller grinder to suggest milling, so the beans could then be assumed to be falling into the cup.
    The slogan would scan better as two sentences:"Morning's coffee. Nothing's better."
    The contour around the shop name needs to be applied to the slogan.
    The slogan ought not to be in a different font.
    The crema needs some lift - perhaps having a "Mmmmm" to suggest the aroma and heat of the coffee?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The slogan is fine as is in all respects.

I like this one from the get go.

Given that "Less Is More" I would say that you have nailed it.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

As someone on another forum wrote in response the the "less is more" comment...no, less is less. Look at my bank statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Mark, I read "The Grind" initially as "The Grinch".
    The grinder should invoke a grinding action with a smaller grinder to suggest milling, so the beans could then be assumed to be falling into the cup.
    The slogan would scan better as two sentences:"Morning's coffee. Nothing's better."
    The contour around the shop name needs to be applied to the slogan.
    The slogan ought not to be in a different font.
    The crema needs some lift - perhaps having a "Mmmmm" to suggest the aroma and heat of the coffee?

Acorn
    Acorn,

A grinder, while definitely a good icon, would lack the romance that the sun has.
    If the slogan were in two lines then the words would be too small. I know, I tried it that way first.
    The slogan, if it had the same FX added it would make it harder to read. (FX's are generally better reserved for only a couple/ or three words).
    I DID, originally, put the slogan in the same font but it was illegible.
    However, I really do like your "Mmmmm" and doesn't Campbell soup's slogan use the "Mmmmm" also?

Not downing your ideas, Acorn. Love ya anyway, my brother.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    The slogan is fine as is in all respects.

I like this one from the get go.
    Thanks, Mike. Coming from you, it means a lot!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Given that "Less Is More" I would say that you have nailed it.
    Bob.
    Thanks, Bob! You're the Logo king here, so I appreciate that. Yes I do!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    As someone on another forum wrote in response the the "less is more" comment...no, less is less. Look at my bank statement.
    Funnyman! LOL!