Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How to recolor 16 color image to other 16 color palette?

Quote Originally Posted by theinonen View Post
    I took palette file from a ZX Spectrum emulator and modified it to use colour values from this thread and saved it as CGApalette. Now all that needs to be done is select 4bit colour , no dithering and the CGApalette to get image converted to those colours.

Using the image on page 1 of this thread gives me this:
    Attachment 117823
    I tried that and what I got was this:

testout1.bmp
    testout2.bmp

maybe I did something wrong?

how exactly did you do it? - how did you map the colors?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you for explanation.

How I got image and rendered to final?
    Image is taken from MiST FPGA with SoC ZX Spectrum with ULA graphic chip, then converted by renderer made for Commodore 128 VDC chip - rendering at moment when find not exact color, runs dithering, it has no command line options. I got source from author, it's written in C. Sadly for now I know programming of PCs only Visual Basic, began C++... so any time will go to moment when I will re-programming source.
    Sadly in PC world is assembler full of routines which can be written in other PL, I know assembler of 8-bit and 16-bit computers, but in this era is assembler something what no everybody knows its low level...
    But thank you for clearing me it and I will search for free tool which it can do at least like Corel or ? better ?.

Miro

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I tried that and what I got was this:

testout1.bmp
    testout2.bmp

maybe I did something wrong?

how exactly did you do it? - how did you map the colors?

I used DPScan for the palette swapping and as there are both RISC OS and Windows versions of the software, I could experiment with using palette file inside application folder of ZX Spectrum emulator on RISC OS. With that palette file inserted inside DPScan palette directory, it converted images with perfect ZX Spectrum colours and after that it was just manual work for replacing colours inside that palette with new values from this thread and saving palette with different name to same directory.

I tried earlier to make my own palette from scratch and it gave wrong colours in wrong places, but taking colour order from that existing palette just works and only need select palette and press button for correct looking replacement colours for the image.

sounds interesting if you have access to both RISC OS and windows [which I don't] - but can you guarantee than it will replace the right colors in the right place for other images just by pressing button, or will there still be the manual work to do in each case? - can you try it with the 'Fist' image?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Here is the "fist" image after press button palette swap.

fist.bmp

I am pretty sure it works perfectly for ZX Spectrum images because the palettes are so similar and at least on my tests the resulting images look good.

thanks - so can you do this if you do not have access to risc - if so can you post up the palette, because I would love to give that a test
    Nothing lasts forever...

Actually the palette imported from your images works fine with the software I used, and the colours from the ZX Spectrum palette get swapped to equal colours from another palette.

DPScan is freely downloadable graphics utility on RISC OS, but on Windows it only comes free with Windows version of Ovation Pro DTP software. Palette files it exports/imports are RISC OS palette files and as such may not be much use for Windows users without DPScan. Anyway your palette works already as intended and it seems DPScan is just pretty good at substituting colours to closest colour on another palette.

Nice!

Boys you're great!
    I try to do it by DPScan, if it will be successful I'll report.
    Miro

Sadly download not found

Miro

DPScan download link listed here: http://www.davidpilling.info/cd/software.html
    manual here: http://www.davidpilling.info/cd/Davi...can/DPScan.pdf - also listed on previous link

seems to work ok on my win 10 x64 - do need to be in admin mode to install it, ie run installer as admin

quite a useful utility

it may only work under trial mode though if you have not bought ovation pro - ie it may stop working after a while - seems to be no clear info on this that I could find...

edit - at the bottom of the above linked page:
    Note DPScan cannot be used unless Ovation Pro is registered
    so make of that what you will.....
    Nothing lasts forever...