Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: old Corel Xara .xar images results transparent but they ARENT!

[apologies for three posts in a row]

ok - if the file is opened in xara xtreme - the text is ok, but the image is not rendered - if you export from xtreme in cmx5 format then:

if you reimport the cm5 into a new xtreme document and then save that as a xar file, that xar will open in designer pro without any apparent problems

but if you import the cmx5 file directly into designer pro, although the image renders you still get internal error if you try to edit or move it

if you cannot get your hands on xtreme then you can try exporting from CorelXara in one or more of the corel cmx formats if CorelXara will do that - but you may have to play with the CorelXara file first, look to any applied ttransparency or other effects and to any text formatting for example.... and there is no guaratee that will work because my best guess after playing with it is that the CorelXara exported bitmaps do not play well with the modern Xara way of handling images as 'bitmap filled vector shapes'; and whilst there is backward compatibility to a xar saved from Xtreme, not as far back as CorelXara

here are the files - had to zip the cmx5 as the forum does not accept that format directly

CMX5 file.zip
    XAR saved from Xtreme.xar

good luck, maybe someone else will have better ideas, meanwhile Bank Holiday weekend over... back to the real world for me...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thank you GUYS!

My problem is also that i have Tons of these files ( hundreds ) and i need to convert them all.
    These files are very important for me ( they are memories of my family ) so your help would be very appreciated.
    So is there a way to do this conversion to many files?

THANK THANK THANK

Or maybe make Corel Xara Work on Win 10?????

you tried to install it from cd and it failed? you also said you tried emulating 'old windows OS' but you don't say how you did that

the best way is as follows

make a new folder on your windows 10 desktop

go to the CD in file explorer, select everything, and copy to your new folder

make sure that file explorer is in 'details view' and look for application files
    here is a screen shot of that done for xara xtreme:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xtr CD.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	117706

the file you want is traditionally called 'setup' but I have never used corelxara and it is so old it probably predates XP - eiither way there is no guarantee

right-click on the setup file, click on properties and then on the compatibility tab:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comp mode.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	117707

tick 'run this program in compatibility mode for...' on first try use the default, be it XP or not
    and
    'run this program as an administrator'

click ok

now run the setup program

if you are in doubt about which program to use you can post up a screen shot

if you try/have tried this and it fails then post up a screen shot of the error message[s]

if all else fails you can run XP in a virtual machine, but you would need an XP licence...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi
    handrawn
    i tryied but it dailed.
    Soon ill screenshot the error message.
    Thanks for the moment

Sharon,

I have fixed this for you, please see the attachment and let me know if it works.

Also, you can install and run CorelXARA on Windows 10 (including on 64-bit flavor) by following these steps, I assume you have basic knowledge of computer usage and patience

1. Create a folder on your desktop called "CorelXARA Setup"
    2. Insert your CorelXARA CD into your drive.
    3. Explore the root of the CD
    4. Select all the files and copy them to your desktop folder "CorelXARA Setup" (into the same folder where setup.exe is also found)
    5. Download http://toastytech.com/files/Is3Engine.zip AND extract the SETUP32.EXE file that is inside and copy it into the "CorelXARA Setup" on the desktop.
    6. Go into "CorelXARA Setup" and run SETUP32.EXE file and install the program.
    7. In order to run the program, we need to install Sandboxie from https://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?DownloadSandboxie which allows you to use it free for personal use, it should give you enough time to convert all your files accordingly (see below).
    8. Once installed, then go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\CorelXARA" and right click on corelxra.exe and select "Run Sandboxed" and select DefaultBox and ok. It should run as normal.

Please familiarize yourself with Sandboxie in terms of transferring the files from the sandbox.

In order to convert your files just do this (which is what I did):

1. Open your XAR file in CorelXara, then open the Bitmap Gallery and you will see the bitmaps there. Right click on each bitmap (in the Bitmap Gallery) and click SAVE and save as per your convenient location.
    2. Open the same XAR in Xara Xtreme Pro.
    3. Drag the just saved bitmap onto your document then press "Del" to "delete it" from view (it is still in the Bitmap Gallery)
    3. Drag the "set view quality" slider to lowest setting.
    4. Select the rectangle that appears on your page and then in the Bitmap Gallery right click on the image that you see and right click and select Apply as Fill.
    5. Save the document AS IS

Since this way you can run CorelXARA you could experiment with exporting to various formats and see what works better.

Repeat as needed. Unfortunately there is no automatic way to handle this as likely Xara would not release a convertor so if the files are really important to you, this should help you.

Enjoy

Reference:
    InstallShield Setup32.exe trick learned from:
    http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10988

Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    Hi,
    i have an original copy of Corel Xara in a cd rom but i cant install it over windows 10 due to OS error ( maybe its too old that software ).
    Ive purchased Xara Extreme Pro wich install good over Win 10.

BUT there is a big problem.

A lot of the old .xar files made by Corel Xara opens in Xara Xtreme but seems trasparent and i cant see anything in it ( they actually works on an old Corel Xara PC ).
    Have you please a solution?
    For me would be great also to make possible to install the old Corel Xara in windows 10 but there is no way, even emulating all old windows Os during installation or execute installer as Admin.

Im quite desperate..

Thanks so much!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ypson; 21 July 2017 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added installation instructions

ypson - Your post was moderated because you are a new member and not allowed links. However as your links are appropriate I have approved the post. Thanks.

useful info there ypson - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    ypson - Your post was moderated because you are a new member and not allowed links. However as your links are appropriate I have approved the post. Thanks.
    AMgwpriester: Apologies and thank you for the exception, much appreciated, just helping out

handrwan: You're welcome, let's hope the OP will be able to recover her files.

Quote Originally Posted by ypson View Post
    AMgwpriester: Apologies and thank you for the exception, much appreciated, just helping out
    handrwan: You're welcome, let's hope the OP will be able to recover her files.
    ypson, it is wonderful that you have taken all the time and patience to hammer out a solution for a fellow TGer.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat