Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Web page width

Default Web page width

I have an old website I created 13 years ago in Microsoft's FrontPage. It's not easy trying to edit it anymore, so I was planning to re-do it with Xara Designer Pro. The biggest difference I see is that in FrontPage, the web pages will automatically adjust to whatever page width your monitor happens to be. But in Xara, I have to pick a fixed page width and have a pasteboard color/picture behind it, extending to the monitor width. Well, when I'm designing a webpage is Xara and put a graphic item beyond the borders of the designated page width, and view it in a browser, the graphic item is still there, beyond what the page width should be. It doesn't get cut off at the designated page width. Is the designated page width in Xara just a suggestion, or would I run into trouble later if I put stuff beyond it?

Default Re: Web page width

Quote Originally Posted by Neptune View Post
    I have an old website I created 13 years ago in Microsoft's FrontPage. It's not easy trying to edit it anymore, so I was planning to re-do it with Xara Designer Pro. The biggest difference I see is that in FrontPage, the web pages will automatically adjust to whatever page width your monitor happens to be. But in Xara, I have to pick a fixed page width and have a pasteboard color/picture behind it, extending to the monitor width. Well, when I'm designing a webpage is Xara and put a graphic item beyond the borders of the designated page width, and view it in a browser, the graphic item is still there, beyond what the page width should be. It doesn't get cut off at the designated page width. Is the designated page width in Xara just a suggestion, or would I run into trouble later if I put stuff beyond it?
    Look at Utilities > Web Properties > Website > Other, and tick Clip to page edges.

It might only be XDPX11 onwards that has Supersites with Page Transition that have a scale to fit Screen mode.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Welcome to TalkGraphics

Note that Clip to Page Edges only works if the objects overlap the page. That said, you can group and object with a rectangle that overlaps the page and then make the rectangle 100% transparent.

The Fit to Screen option Acorn mentioned works best if the page is not very deep.

I like to make the page the same color as the pasteboard (background) so there is no page per say. This way the page floats in any size browser. For example on this sample page I created to demonstrate Parallax objects with different speeds assigned. http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/parallax-floaters/#

Also, Designer Pro 365 and a few earlier versions let you create a mobile "variant" which will automatically load if your visitor is using a tablet or smart phone. In my opinion a variant or multiple variants are a better solution than the Scale to Fit option because you can design for a specific size.
    Last edited by gwpriester; 28 May 2017 at 01:02 AM.

Hi Gary, I think you forgot to put the example.

Ciao

Roly

The brain is a terrible thing to waste.

I add the link to my previous post.