Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Incredibly slow publishing and preview times after updates

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    How about a change you might have made in a early page to a Placeholder that is not semantically correct? e.g., missing </div> tag.

When I get such problems I clone the file and delete the bottom half of the pages and run that. If the problem is still there, divide and conquer until it works.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn.

Interesting. As I will need to restore from a backup and redo my changes I can take this into consideration. This time around I think I will save and reopen the file after every two or three object changes to see if I can determine which change is triggering the problem. Since I have redone these changes multiple times I still feel I am triggering a defect in Xara Designer, so this might be helpful info for Xara technical support.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by sculptex View Post
    I had an issue where practically everything on my page was set to push and when I tried moving a repelling image, xara freaked out and after a while, came up with a warning. I guess it hit an infinite loop where moving one object had a knock on effect on other objects until it also had a knock on effect on the object I just moved etc. But at least xara realized and gave me a warning but I guess you could have a similar issue?
    I went back and removed some unnecessary push positionings and it has been okay since.
    Hello Sculptex,

Thanks for the reply. I honestly am not totally familiar with Push so I'll need to study this a bit. I do think one or my sites (not sure if it's the one I am having problems with) has some objects set to Push. Never created a problem other than at times I'd see "strange" behavior when moving things around, so I never delved into them. Given your comment it's time for me to learn more about it and identify what objects are set to Push. Is there an easy way to search for those?

I am having the same problem with the performance and decided to get new laptop for better performance.

I have gone with Dell XPS9350-5341SLV since it has I7 with decent GPU. The performance is wise and i did not have any slowdown during publishing, then i guess the problem is on my hardware. I got a recommendation from this one and its turned to be great for my daily work.

Actually, the problems may well be performance related, running low on memory, either physical or disk space, and windows is having to constantly swap around memory from ram to disk which would produce those exact symptoms.
    Have you looked at task manager when you get this problem? Best load it before you load xara and close all other programs to best diagnose.
    Processor speed and graphics cards can be lightning fast but if windows runs low on memory, it will be like walking through treacle!
    The only other thing to try is to switch off any antivirus software just to test while running xara.

Quote Originally Posted by Great_Machine View Post
    I am having the same problem with the performance and decided to get new laptop for better performance.

I have gone with Dell XPS9350-5341SLV since it has I7 with decent GPU. The performance is wise and i did not have any slowdown during publishing, then i guess the problem is on my hardware. I got a recommendation from this one and its turned to be great for my daily work.
    Hello GM.

I don't think my issue is hardware as the tower unit I am running on is a monster (i7 4 MHz, 64 GIG RAM, SSDs, etc.).

Good hardware definitely helps. The load times for my other Xara sites (this one too, when it was working) were drastically reduced on this machine v. my prior one. Definitely makes the daily grind a bit more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by sculptex View Post
    Actually, the problems may well be performance related, running low on memory, either physical or disk space, and windows is having to constantly swap around memory from ram to disk which would produce those exact symptoms.
    Have you looked at task manager when you get this problem? Best load it before you load xara and close all other programs to best diagnose.
    Processor speed and graphics cards can be lightning fast but if windows runs low on memory, it will be like walking through treacle!
    The only other thing to try is to switch off any antivirus software just to test while running xara.
    Hello Sculptex,

Agreed that both low memory and low disk space can have a major negative impact on performance. Alas, I have tons free of both and this extremely fast gaming tower unit I used as my main work workstation.

I've not (and really won't) disable my anti-virus protection. I don't feel that's the issue as other Xara sites do not exhibit the performance symptom.

Thanks for the reply though!

Hi All -

An update... I was contacted by Xara technical support today and informed of some semi-good news:

1.) They were able to recreate the issue using my .XAR file, which I had FTPed to them.

2.) Using an as-yet unreleased version of XDP the problem is no longer apparent.

Based on the above the hope is the next update to XDP will get me back in business. Meanwhile I have offered to beta test said unreleased version in case that helps Xara.

Just wanted to post the above so no one spends a lot of time trying to crack this nut as it does seem--as I concluded in my original post above--that my .XAR file has somehow triggered an XDP defect/bug.

Thanks everyone!

Alex E. Luyando J.C.N. Associates, L.L.C. Microsoft Visual FoxPro Database Application Design and Development | IT Project Management (PMP)