Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down Xara DProX-365 Problems: Error Code-57 (Installation)/Product Issue/ Tech Support

My First Post (Possibly My Last Too!):

Hi. Xara Designer ProX (365) looked to be a good product option for me as my previous software provider was ceasing selling Web-Design Products. Saddened to say that after buying Xara Designer ProX (365) 5-weeks ago I have had major problems with it. I was able to successfully download and install the product (32-bit version) on 13th April 2017 and starting to get into it. However, since updating the product as prompted circa 3-weeks ago (365-Update), I have been unable to use it as I consitently now get "Error-Code-57 (Installation Error)" following Installation and/or Re-Installation (must have done this a dozen times now) and the product consistently fails to open. I have no problems with any of my other software. Accordingly, I can't use it. I have been trying to get Tech Support via the ticketing system and have, to-be-fair, received some replies aimed at sorting this issue, but to-date none of these have worked. I believe I first downloaded v11.X or v12.2 (no one can seem to tell me). I seem to be getting problems with v12.4 and/or v12.6.

CAN ANYONE ON THE FORUM HELP PLEASE? Tech-Support can't appear to sort this problem and I am on the verge of asking for a product refund and looking elsewhere for other options.

I have to say I am somewhat shocked at how "flakey" this product appears to be and starting to realise that Xara is a small company, with very limited resources support-wise (non-telephone for Tech Support). Having bought and used a lot of software in the past, I have to say I have never experienced anything quite like this (i.e. as bad as). Is this product and/or company worth staying with?

P.S. During the week or so I was able to use the product, I also encountered a problem with "Export-to-PDF" - it would not work and crashed on any option other than basic 90-dpi option. I reported this via the ticket system, but have yet to have this resolved either.

AR
    19th May 2017

Default Re: Xara DProX-365 Problems: Error Code-57 (Installation)/Product Issue/ Tech Support

Welcome to TalkGraphics

I hate when stuff like this happens. Xara is a really cool product (I have been using it since the mid 90s). But from time to time users encounter weird issues like you are describing.

The first thing to try is close the program, then right click on the program icon and select Run as Administrator. This often solves a multitude of issues and you only need do it one time.

Anyway, try the Run as Admin and let us know if this helps.

Default Re: Xara DProX-365 Problems: Error Code-57 (Installation)/Product Issue/ Tech Support

depends if it's a xara 'error 57' or a windows 'error 57' ?

if it's a windows error message then it points to problems with the Windows Net Framework installation, and that could certainly give rise to installation problems for some programs

if you think that might be the case, then make sure your OS and all the drivers are up to date and working properly including the NET Framework... but before you do that make absolutely sure your system is free from infection, and do this with a reputable, ideally paid for, security product such as eset/norton/mcafee - do not download or use any other product, paid for or otherwise, that claims to fix registry or any other OS problems for you automatically, because 9 times out of 10 you risk doing more harm than good [this is my opinion having used windows since the days of 3.1; problems such as you experience are rare, but when they crop up the first thing to assess is whether the OS has been 'hacked about' in any way, whether with good or bad intention ]

good luck, I hope you get it sorted
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi. Many thanks for your response/posting. Re Run as Administaror that unfortunately does not make any difference as the "Error Code-57" still comes up with the advice to reinstall (which I have done over a dozen times now, with clean-flush of all program/data and registry files per Xara Tech Support instructions. I have been waiting for over a week now for any further help from Tech-Support (such as there is) - hopeless and very poor treatment of a customer! Even the disk they sent me fails to load properly and gives this error. No-one has satisfactorily explanied to me why I was able to download and start to use the product OK and then following 365-Update I haven't been able to use it again for over 3-weeks!!! Awful.

P.S. I use Norton Security OK.

Hi. Many thanks for your response/posting. Re Xara Error Code-57 versus Windows Error-Code-57. Not sure. I am no expert, but I have not encountered this before or with any other software I use and or have downloaded/istalled. I only got this following the Xara 365-Update and now on any subsequent Xara Software Attempts - all of which were following the precise instructions of Xara Tech-Support (such as it is). They did get me to delete one item in the Registry, whether that is now the issue I don't know and as they don't talk to you it's hard to know. Run as Administaror that unfortunately does not make any difference as the "Error Code-57" still comes up with the advice to reinstall (which I have done over a dozen times now, with clean-flush of all program/data and registry files per Xara Tech Support instructions. I have been waiting for over a week now for any further help from Tech-Support (such as there is) - hopeless and very poor treatment of a customer! Even the disk they sent me fails to load properly and gives this error. No-one has satisfactorily explanied to me why I was able to download and start to use the product OK and then following 365-Update I haven't been able to use it again for over 3-weeks!!! Never known a product/company quite like this product support-wise.

I got rid of Norton because it caused too many issues like this. Security software is very aggressive and in some cases can cause issues such as this. Is there some way you can tell Norton that Xara is OK and to make an exception?

Programs such as Xara communicate from the program back to the company in the background and many web security programs see this as a threat and try to block it. Content can be added or security issues patched in the background.

I use Webroot Secure Anywhere and every time I install an update it tries to block the .exe file until I say it is OK.

I understand your frustration with support. But when you consider that every computer is different, has different hardware, software, security systems, etc., it's a miracle anything even works at all.

I have asked Xara to have a look at this thread.

Please let us know what you find out. It will be helpful to others who experience the same problems.