Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tad

I think you will find that the .xar file size is not dependent on the use of a bitmap in a document, if it is used anywhere, as a fill or transparency etc, the entire bitmap is saved in the .xar file, even if the bitmap is completely invisible. This allows for re-editing which may reveal more of the bitmap.
    Note that when you slice up a bitmap, vector path objects are created with bitmap fills.
    The only real way to change a bitmap is in the bitmap effects gallery or to use the create bitmap dialogue.
    To crop a bitmap I would recommend arrange->convert to editable shapes, adjust the path outline to the right shape (inserting curves if necessary) and then using the arrange->create bitmap copy.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

Mark,

Perhaps this would be a nice OPTION in the bitmap menu. Call it Crop to Path (or just plain crop). It would remove all portions of the original bitmap which are outside the "adjusted path outline". It would then replace the original bitmap in the Bitmap gallery with the resulting smaller bitmap.

I can see, in some cases, where unecesarily large bitmaps could be a problem in managing the overall file size of the .XAR file.