Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What do you want Xara/Magix to do?

There are several grumbly threads venting frustration with how Xara/Magix have handled features and pricing for 365 category products. And while venting can be good therapy and provide valuable feedback for sales & marketing, most of the voices heard were negative and angry.

So, what I propose is a new thread (this one) in which I hope to continue this discussion but moving in a positive direction.

As users, and many of us loyal long time users, WHAT DO YOU WANT XARA and MAGIX TO DO?

BE POSITIVE and offer feedback and comments that are not just whinging but that offer constructive suggestions for what would make you as a Xara user happy?

Not a debate. Not a trash Xara forum. But one that can provide helpful direction to the people who develop and market the products we use.

I WILL DELETE comments that do not fit in with these simple parameters.

Are we good?

Default Re: What do you want Xara/Magix to do?

What I would hope for is for Xara to take a long hard look at the current product with an eye to just revisiting the current tools and functions and updating and improving these rather than add new features.

For example. The bitmap tracer is a bit long in the tooth? Can it be improved, more like Vector Magic, or should be be removed.

The Web Animations are great. But can we have more controls. Ditto with the new styles and ligatures feature.

So, that is my hope for the future.

Kate Moir suggested in one of the othe angry threads that there were three options for the future of Xara, including a return to the yearly update model that was in place before.
    This would make most people happy. We already waited over a year for very little, so I would be happy with one major improvement implemented each year for one of the following:

Open Type improvements

Open Type improvements and did I mention Open Type improvements?

If the code prevents this then the time should be spent redesigning the program from the ground up. Serif and Adobe have done this. Why not Xara?

Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

What I want Magix to do is to get more developers working so they can fullfill their be promises and finish unfinished features like brushes and open type support. And I would like to see the online designer grow much faster
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

The main thing I would like Xara/Magix to do right now is to reduce the Update Service price for XDP to around last year's level.

I would like if Xara would keep the concept of the Designer Pro as flagship - still the best Swiss Army Knife for graphical inspirations. I love that the program is fast that is key.

If Xara stays at the 365 model, then would like to have information in advance, what is under development. In the case of going back to the yearly update, then all the old July surprises are welcome, then the development directions can be in secret as the company likes (me too liked it)

I would like if Magix would respect the loyal Xara customers and having the subscription price on the original one

Logic, follow logic and common sense.

Firstly, (not most important, and it's a psychological thing)...the GUI, icons, colour scheme, needs refreshing to differentiate between new and older versions...sounds useless, but from a developer point of view it's a big deal for not a lot of work.

Features. Let's be honest, the price point, delivery method and update model are all well and good but if there's no new features/content it's all completely and utterly irrelevant.

Market Research (also known as looking at what everyone else is doing). Not difficult, have a look at Affinity and other vector software and what's creating a stir elsewhere. I can give you a few that I've been wanting for years...

Custom line heads and tails
    Two decimal places in (mm) - not a feature, a fix
    Better 3D extrusion (hasn't changed in years) extrude groups or a selection of objects in maintained perspective as opposed to individual perspective per object.
    Rotate a group of points on the end of a bunch of lines (so you can achieve a twist effect, I know what I mean)
    Proper Multi Monitor Support Options
    Improve Vector Tracing
    Improve Font Handling
    Get back on the Import and Export development - it's the bridge that keeps Xara relevant no matter what ("Yeah, I can handle that file, throw it over")

Focus on original Strengths...Speed, fluidity, user friendliness - remember what made you so good in the first place, never stop optimising and refining.

Don't spend disproportionate amounts of development time on Website design features. (IMHO). Yes Xara can do it, and it's OK, but it's no market leader and strictly speaking the wrong tool for the job, you might want to refocus energy on being a bloody awesome drawing workstation.

Innovate. Not easy, but try to find some unusual USP. Harvest more thoughts (like this thread) from your user base. This could be more than a dipping of the toe into the 3D realm? Anyone remember ZBrush when it was merely a 2D 3D painter? Innovation that has led the software to new heights.

Equally, don't be afraid to clone tried, tested and loved features from elsewhere in the marketplace...what do you think Affinity has done from Xara?

It's time to ditch the same old dusty examples by the way, some of which I remember from in excess of ten years ago and are still knocking about today (the beatle, the watch, the old man) get rid, get flashy and zesty, this could lead to a bit of a rebrand...and I don't mean Magix version of a rebrand!

Xara was way ahead of the curve for a long time, which is why you may find it harder now, everyone else is catching/caught up. The good thing is this means even though not a lot has changed, Xara is still very much relevant...but for us time served Xarites we will need more.

There's a few thoughts, I could go on all night. lol

Oh...also...I know it costs, but many still like a physical media option, you might want to think about that.

GWP - How much of Xara is still developed in the UK, or operates from Gaddesden Place? What is the Magix involvement and how much control do they have now over the development?

Please do not make this a specific feature request. These should be posted in the Dear Xara forum.

Communication.

Showing the development in the overhaul for current tools,UI,bitmaptracer,3D and explain what can and can't be done.
    Create new tools and don't spend money on third party thingies.
    People should learn themselves to create and have better knowledge about the versatility of xdp instead of pre-created stuff.

Love to see:Better text tool(ligatures,....),grids,brushes,Image and Color Meshwarp/Perspective

But upmost on my list is openness towards all users;

Xara/Magix should reveal some of the developments and the new features to make users interested and gain new users to pay the bills.
    Instead they show no real value being added that legitimizes the pricing at current date.

The old yearly version made all users excited and review-sites also.
    Made it something to look forward to and tryout and comment on the features changed or new.
    But keeping things hush-hush and having small update periods,there is nothing to look forward to and if the small update's aren't worth the mention review-sites will no longer write about it.
    So three update periods in a year is to few for being picked up by reviewers and other online influencers.
    So give them something and the users to hunger for.

Xara should learn that having a site,a forum and socialmedia accounts are more than just marketingtools.
    Engagement from users will only go so far these days and if they feel they are not being appreciated by either upping the price,being ignored,put in place,they will move along.
    These users will no longer promote your product and probably will put your product down.
    The word-to-mouth advertising is still the the biggest marketingtool in the world and if Xara/Magix doesn't see it this way it's their loss.

And for now,goodbye

I think Xara should upgrade Photo and Graphic designer so it is the equivalent of Designer Pro, but with the web stuff stripped out. Whilst I have no objection to a 'flagship' product, I have come round to thinking Drawing and Web Design should be kept separate in so far as is practicable, and ideally recoded from scratch

I have gone on in the past about the lack of certain features on the drawing side [don't worry Gary, I am not going to list them again] - but actually, as Mike and others have said, rewriting the code and getting bugs/glitches/inadequecies dealt with is just as important looking at it from the point of view of the product, and not what I [a pretty insignificant user] might actually like
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...