Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: Temporarily hiding mobile variant

    The test on the Android tablet was successful. Chrome and the built-in browser (Samsung) both displayed the correct variant.
    Maybe someone could check on iPhone, iPad, MacOS, Linux or other Android variants.
    THIS LINK should display variant one (480px) of page one, variant two (640px) of page two and variant three (960px) of page three regardless of the browser width.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Harwich, Essex, England
    Posts
    18,103

    Default Re: Temporarily hiding mobile variant

    Worked as I expected on iPhone & iPad by loading different page sizes Siran
    Egg
    Endangered Species
    HP xw9400 W/S / 2 x Dual Core AMD / RAM 16 GB / 240 GB Kingston SSD / 120 GB Kingston SSD / 500 GB HDD / ATI Radeon HD 5450 / Windows 10 / 64 Bit /
    Xara Designer Pro X (12 or 365)


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    690

    Default Re: Temporarily hiding mobile variant

    Thanks Egg, good to know.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: Temporarily hiding mobile variant

    Siran thanks very much for the detailed explanation.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: Temporarily hiding mobile variant

    I'm again needing to hide a mobile variant under development while making lots of changes to a live desktop version It just occurred to me that each time I've finished working on the mobile version, I could just change that variant's width to something ridiculously low or high (say 30 or 3000 pixels wide....) which would publish it along with the desktop version but it would not appear publicly as nobody's device has those specs... then each time I want to work on the mobile variant I would just change the width to the actual mobile width. I haven't yet tried this, wondered if it's worth a try and/or if there's anything I should bear in mind?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: Temporarily hiding mobile variant

    Quote Originally Posted by yjs View Post
    I'm again needing to hide a mobile variant under development while making lots of changes to a live desktop version It just occurred to me that each time I've finished working on the mobile version, I could just change that variant's width to something ridiculously low or high (say 30 or 3000 pixels wide....) which would publish it along with the desktop version but it would not appear publicly as nobody's device has those specs... then each time I want to work on the mobile variant I would just change the width to the actual mobile width. I haven't yet tried this, wondered if it's worth a try and/or if there's anything I should bear in mind?
    From a quick try this seems to work and be quite simple - i.e. if you are working on a mobile variant which you don't want to display when you publish the desktop variant, just change the mobile variant with to 200 pixels before publishing, then change the width back to 480 pixels when you want to continue working on it

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Harwich, Essex, England
    Posts
    18,103

    Default Re: Temporarily hiding mobile variant

    Simplest way would be to work on the desktop variant. Once your happy do a Save As "desktop-only.web" then delete the mobile variant, and publish. Not good for SEO as Google likes mobile versions too but it will probably rank the same as a 30px wide variant.

    You can then work on your original web file to edit the mobile variant until your happy with both & publish.
    Egg
    Endangered Species
    HP xw9400 W/S / 2 x Dual Core AMD / RAM 16 GB / 240 GB Kingston SSD / 120 GB Kingston SSD / 500 GB HDD / ATI Radeon HD 5450 / Windows 10 / 64 Bit /
    Xara Designer Pro X (12 or 365)


  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    219

    Default Re: Temporarily hiding mobile variant

    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Simplest way would be to work on the desktop variant. Once your happy do a Save As "desktop-only.web" then delete the mobile variant, and publish. Not good for SEO as Google likes mobile versions too but it will probably rank the same as a 30px wide variant.

    You can then work on your original web file to edit the mobile variant until your happy with both & publish.
    If I understand correctly this means working with multiple webs and deleting each time before a publish.

    Using an ultra-narrow variant for the mobile draft means I can work intensively on the desktop version (which has changes several times a day) and publish directly. Whenever I want to work on the mobile version (prior to its launch) I simply open that version, widen, do my work then narrow it again unless it's ready for launch - in which case I just do a normal publish of the entire web.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SW England
    Posts
    7,841

    Default Re: Temporarily hiding mobile variant

    Quote Originally Posted by yjs View Post
    If I understand correctly this means working with multiple webs and deleting each time before a publish.

    Using an ultra-narrow variant for the mobile draft means I can work intensively on the desktop version (which has changes several times a day) and publish directly. Whenever I want to work on the mobile version (prior to its launch) I simply open that version, widen, do my work then narrow it again unless it's ready for launch - in which case I just do a normal publish of the entire web.
    I do like the idea of setting the Variant to a skinny width. I personally don't care what Google thinks, I would be doing it for sound design reasons.

    Acorn
    Acorn - My currently active Xara software: occasionally serviced XDPX, purposely unserviced XDPX12 & XDPX11 (32/64-bit), unserviced XWD Premium 15 & 12, XPGD10, X3D7 and lots of 'permanently-owned' licences back through time (to CC's Artworks)

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Harwich, Essex, England
    Posts
    18,103

    Default Re: Temporarily hiding mobile variant

    If I understand correctly this means working with multiple webs and deleting each time before a publish.
    No just two.

    Using an ultra-narrow variant for the mobile draft means I can work intensively on the desktop version (which has changes several times a day) and publish directly.
    If that's the case, if your desktop version changes with such regularity but not the mobile version I'd suggest creating two separate independent versions of your site and not use variants.
    Egg
    Endangered Species
    HP xw9400 W/S / 2 x Dual Core AMD / RAM 16 GB / 240 GB Kingston SSD / 120 GB Kingston SSD / 500 GB HDD / ATI Radeon HD 5450 / Windows 10 / 64 Bit /
    Xara Designer Pro X (12 or 365)


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •