Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Temporarily hiding mobile variant

The test on the Android tablet was successful. Chrome and the built-in browser (Samsung) both displayed the correct variant.
    Maybe someone could check on iPhone, iPad, MacOS, Linux or other Android variants.
    THIS LINK should display variant one (480px) of page one, variant two (640px) of page two and variant three (960px) of page three regardless of the browser width.

Worked as I expected on iPhone & iPad by loading different page sizes Siran
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg, good to know.

Siran thanks very much for the detailed explanation.

I'm again needing to hide a mobile variant under development while making lots of changes to a live desktop version It just occurred to me that each time I've finished working on the mobile version, I could just change that variant's width to something ridiculously low or high (say 30 or 3000 pixels wide....) which would publish it along with the desktop version but it would not appear publicly as nobody's device has those specs... then each time I want to work on the mobile variant I would just change the width to the actual mobile width. I haven't yet tried this, wondered if it's worth a try and/or if there's anything I should bear in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by yjs View Post
    I'm again needing to hide a mobile variant under development while making lots of changes to a live desktop version It just occurred to me that each time I've finished working on the mobile version, I could just change that variant's width to something ridiculously low or high (say 30 or 3000 pixels wide....) which would publish it along with the desktop version but it would not appear publicly as nobody's device has those specs... then each time I want to work on the mobile variant I would just change the width to the actual mobile width. I haven't yet tried this, wondered if it's worth a try and/or if there's anything I should bear in mind?
    From a quick try this seems to work and be quite simple - i.e. if you are working on a mobile variant which you don't want to display when you publish the desktop variant, just change the mobile variant with to 200 pixels before publishing, then change the width back to 480 pixels when you want to continue working on it

Simplest way would be to work on the desktop variant. Once your happy do a Save As "desktop-only.web" then delete the mobile variant, and publish. Not good for SEO as Google likes mobile versions too but it will probably rank the same as a 30px wide variant.

You can then work on your original web file to edit the mobile variant until your happy with both & publish.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Simplest way would be to work on the desktop variant. Once your happy do a Save As "desktop-only.web" then delete the mobile variant, and publish. Not good for SEO as Google likes mobile versions too but it will probably rank the same as a 30px wide variant.

You can then work on your original web file to edit the mobile variant until your happy with both & publish.
    If I understand correctly this means working with multiple webs and deleting each time before a publish.

Using an ultra-narrow variant for the mobile draft means I can work intensively on the desktop version (which has changes several times a day) and publish directly. Whenever I want to work on the mobile version (prior to its launch) I simply open that version, widen, do my work then narrow it again unless it's ready for launch - in which case I just do a normal publish of the entire web.

Quote Originally Posted by yjs View Post
    If I understand correctly this means working with multiple webs and deleting each time before a publish.

Using an ultra-narrow variant for the mobile draft means I can work intensively on the desktop version (which has changes several times a day) and publish directly. Whenever I want to work on the mobile version (prior to its launch) I simply open that version, widen, do my work then narrow it again unless it's ready for launch - in which case I just do a normal publish of the entire web.
    I do like the idea of setting the Variant to a skinny width. I personally don't care what Google thinks, I would be doing it for sound design reasons.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

No just two.

Using an ultra-narrow variant for the mobile draft means I can work intensively on the desktop version (which has changes several times a day) and publish directly.
    If that's the case, if your desktop version changes with such regularity but not the mobile version I'd suggest creating two separate independent versions of your site and not use variants.
    Egg