Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Pay for Xara again ?

I know software companies need to make money and Adobe started this whole thing of subscriptions for software. But Photoshop was like £600 at the time so actually being a subscription kind of made a little bit of sense but although I do like using Xara I am struggling to see why I would pay for more money to get some extra features.

I am due to pay for the service update or whatever its called and since I bought the software I think I have had a couple of updates but to be honest Its hit-or-miss for me if it will even look for updates as I have had numerous problems with the software connecting to online so my slideshow often breaks to and the help has also been sketchy with some inquiries taking days and days and days to answer.

This is my slideshow when I try and edit it and this has been a problem for a while now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	117445

So I am thinking at the moment do I pay for the update ?

I really like the program itself but it annoys me this new 'model' that is becoming the norm of paying for software over and over again

I wonder if my car manufacturer will be popping over to ask for more money or they will remove my car's engine

Default Re: Pay for Xara again ?

Hi John Young,

First thing to look at before anything is the issue your having with the Xara Slideshow widget. Can you right click the page you see, and select properties, then triple click the address in the "Address: (URL)" field, this should select all of the URL. Press Ctrl + C to copy and paste the URL into Internet Explorer. Does the issue continue to occur in Internet Explorer?

Thanks,
    Ben

Default Re: Pay for Xara again ?

Quote Originally Posted by John Young View Post
    I know software companies need to make money and Adobe started this whole thing of subscriptions for software. But Photoshop was like £600 at the time so actually being a subscription kind of made a little bit of sense but although I do like using Xara I am struggling to see why I would pay for more money to get some extra features.

I am due to pay for the service update or whatever its called and since I bought the software I think I have had a couple of updates but to be honest Its hit-or-miss for me if it will even look for updates as I have had numerous problems with the software connecting to online so my slideshow often breaks to and the help has also been sketchy with some inquiries taking days and days and days to answer.

This is my slideshow when I try and edit it and this has been a problem for a while now

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	117445

So I am thinking at the moment do I pay for the update ?

I really like the program itself but it annoys me this new 'model' that is becoming the norm of paying for software over and over again

I wonder if my car manufacturer will be popping over to ask for more money or they will remove my car's engine

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion.

I have just tried it but this time the slidehow on xara worked and it worked on IE. I did get a message from support along the same lines and they told me to reset a few settings on IE and all was well it worked... until next time and it did not again. It seems very hit and miss sometimes it connects and works other times not ??