Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Designer Pro X: Navbar jumps to right on page change, then re-centers...why?

And a further alternative - I'm not a lover of this trend to have large headers & I must admit I thought I was doing something wrong at first looking at your services pages as there was virtually nothing changing 'above the fold'. Much of the top content of the page remained the same.

So I thought how about making the services text into the sub-menu. The Services button now just opens the services page, the services button remains highlighted and all the services pages are served up om pop-ups. (well only three in my example)

I used your text to create the buttons and for a reason that escapes me these buttons, although grouped, still act as text type links, the underlying rectangles aren't firing the mouse over effect, but that's easily overcome by rebuilding the buttons.

I feel there's more of a definite change in my example, but that's for you to decide
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

NJ, near Princeton Univ (USA), midway between NYC and Philly

Default Re: Designer Pro X: Navbar jumps to right on page change, then re-centers...why?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    And a further alternative - I'm not a lover of this trend to have large headers & I must admit I thought I was doing something wrong at first looking at your services pages as there was virtually nothing changing 'above the fold'. Much of the top content of the page remained the same.

So I thought how about making the services text into the sub-menu. The Services button now just opens the services page, the services button remains highlighted and all the services pages are served up om pop-ups. (well only three in my example)

I used your text to create the buttons and for a reason that escapes me these buttons, although grouped, still act as text type links, the underlying rectangles aren't firing the mouse over effect, but that's easily overcome by rebuilding the buttons.

I feel there's more of a definite change in my example, but that's for you to decide
    Egg - thanks - I really appreciate the time and effort. You've raised an interesting alternative, and I may wind up going that route later on. For now, I've just tightened up the spacing a bit more, so we can see at least some content change "above the fold" when navigating through various services.

Once we got the text finalized (and spelling corrected!), I deleted the various website variants, as they were in various states of disrepair after all my page hacking. I then added back a single variant, and was delighted to see that it picked up the content very nicely. I only did the one, at 640px width. I shrunk and rearranged a couple of the graphics (we need more, but this is a start), and narrowed down some of the text columns. I can certainly do better later on, but this variant is actually usable (if the font IS a bit tiny!) on my cell phone, and nothing is cut off. For the small variants, I took the easy way out and just enlarged the font and spacing on the drop-down Services menu. Again - I can come up with a better mobile menu later, but this version is actually usable (which blew me away!). Amazing how easy this whole process is with Xara.

Last question for the moment: when I open the site on my phone, it looks like the Main version of the site starts to load first, and then the mobile variant replaces it. Not terrible, but it would be cleaner if the mobile variant was immediately displayed first. However this will NOT keep me up at night.

Latest version is now live at www.mpartnersltd.com

thanks again to all who offered help and support in this thread: Gary, Roly, Egg - thx!

Jon