Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Design Package Danger?

Well, I've never downloaded a "design package" from a trustworthy site that also sells fonts. But I tried it recently. To my amazement, my computer said that if I open any of these files that it "might" harm my computer. Yikes. So, I never opened it. I just deleted it. But here's the fly in the ointment: I don't have Photoshop. Never have. I prefer Xara Designer Pro, which is what I have on my computer and do all my design work with.

My question is this. If Xara handles Photoshop files, shouldn't a design bundle package work on my computer? The reason I'm asking is because DesignCuts has a design bundle I'd really like to have.

Mark

Default Re: Design Package Danger?

Hmmm, I'd like to know also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark321 View Post
    Well, I've never downloaded a "design package" from a trustworthy site that also sells fonts. But I tried it recently. To my amazement, my computer said that if I open any of these files that it "might" harm my computer. Yikes. So, I never opened it. I just deleted it. But here's the fly in the ointment: I don't have Photoshop. Never have. I prefer Xara Designer Pro, which is what I have on my computer and do all my design work with.

My question is this. If Xara handles Photoshop files, shouldn't a design bundle package work on my computer? The reason I'm asking is because DesignCuts has a design bundle I'd really like to have.

Mark
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

If you have a decent anti-virus program, you can use it to scan the files and let it decide for you if you can safely open and use the files or not.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Security software is getting more aggressive and can trigger these warnings.

Download the package but before you open it, right click and select Scan with whatever your default security software is.

If it says no bad stuff found then you are probably OK.

You might also check with the source of the package and tell them what warnings you got and ask them what they recommend.

Thanks guys.

I just discovered why the design package wouldn't open on my computer. I was trying to open an EPS file, which won't open. But the AI file did open without a hitch.

I learn something new everyday.

Here's something new: Why the heck can't I open the PNG files? I create .png files everyday. This is confusing. Unless the files I create are lowercase file extension and these files I'm trying to open is uppercase file extension. PNG=bad but .png=good? That's confusing.

Mark,
    When you say opening, do you mean importing into Xara?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark321 View Post
    I just discovered why the design package wouldn't open on my computer. I was trying to open an EPS file, which won't open. But the AI file did open without a hitch.

I learn something new everyday.

Here's something new: Why the heck can't I open the PNG files? I create .png files everyday. This is confusing. Unless the files I create are lowercase file extension and these files I'm trying to open is uppercase file extension. PNG=bad but .png=good? That's confusing.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    Mark,
    When you say opening, do you mean importing into Xara?
    Yes, Ron. Importing. I've also tried OPENING WITH Xara but, alas, it didn't work. And what's confusing about it all is (and I checked on this) Xara has the capability to import these files as well as export them. Go figure.

Mark,

I open EPS files all of the time. What may have given you trouble is that the file is saved with a newer version of Adobe. The older versions I find that I have no problem with them.

As far as the upper versus lower case for the png files that should make no difference.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Mark,

I open EPS files all of the time. What may have given you trouble is that the file is saved with a newer version of Adobe. The older versions I find that I have no problem with them.

As far as the upper versus lower case for the png files that should make no difference.

Ray
    Ray, I thought it wouldn't matter if it were upper or lowercase but I just wasn't sure. Lightroom will allow you to choose either upper or lowercase as a file extension so I didn't think it should matter.