Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to give an image a specific file name

How can I give an image a specific file name instead of the random numbers that Xara assigns? I'm not referring to the pop-up title or image caption options, but the actual file name for the image that shows in a web browser when you click "view image".

Default Re: How to give an image a specific file name

Select the image.
    Click the yellow name tag icon on the Infobar
    Add the text filename=image-name
    Press Add.

Replace image-name with the name you wish to give the photo. In my attachment, I named my image screenshot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filename.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	117304  

Thanks for the reply Gary. This is not working for me. After following the instructions, uploading and refreshing the page, when I click "view image" or click "save as" in the browser it still has the number Xara assigns.

Should work. I just tried this here http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/parallax-floaters/ Drag the screen shot or the two cartoon figures off the page onto the desktop.

Did you press Add after naming? And did you do a screen refresh if you published? Ctrl + F5?

Yes to all. What version are you using? I am using XWDP11. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burger-Boy.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	117314

As Gary states, it should work. Try refreshing the page using Ctrl+F5 and try again.

Be aware though that using named images across variants isn't a good idea, it messes up the bitmaps.

Just tried it in XDP11 and posted an example HERE. I prefer to stick to lower case image names.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, I have tried everything, refreshing and restarting the browser, rebooting the computer, nothing works. Here is a link to the page: http://www.xenofile.com/remasterpieces.htm The image is "The Burger Boy" all the way down at the bottom right of the page. See if it works on your computer.

Not sure what you mean by "using named images across variants" and messing up bitmaps. The reason I want to rename is so that when an image is saved it will use the proper name and not a random number. Also useful for SEO purposes by using keywords instead of a number for image filenames.

Egg and TheCapn - I think the problem here is using the popup feature. Not sure if there is a solution for this.

I have forwarded a link to this thread to Xara to see if they have a suggestion.

Ok, I think I have figured it out. Like Gary, earlier I thought that maybe the popup effect was causing the issue so I disabled it, but that didn't work. However, just now I thought maybe the shadow had something to do with it so I removed it, and it worked. Then, I added the popup without the shadow and the name remains on the small version, but the number shows on the larger popup image.

If you refresh the page, I have renamed the 3 images on the bottom row. As you can see, the "Target" image with the shadow only shows the number generated by Xara. The "facebook" image without a shadow but with a popup shows the name (facebook) when you right click "save as" on the small image, but shows the number when you right click the popup image. The "Burger Boy", without a shadow or popup, shows the correct filename. So it seems that no effect can be applied to an image for the "name" feature to work.

Hopefully Xara will fix this ASAP as I would like to be able to rename images with effects.

You're correct about the shadowed image Cpan. If you want a workaround, prior to naming the photo, apply a shadow. Right click & sellect Create bitmap copy. This creates a copy with the shadow. Now if you name it it will retain the name.

I can't see a way around the Hislide Popup situation. The thumbnail can be named but not the popup image.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host