Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Include pages from another site and publish

I am building a new history society website for my village using Xara Web Designer 365.

Bearing in mind that I am very much a novice, I am struggling to get to grips with how the existing site has been set up and how to add one of its elements to my site. The existing website has a tab in the navigation bar that is populated from a genealogy database, TMG (The Master Genealogist which I believe is no longer supported) and the web pages are created by Second Site. I am told that UK.net are hosting the existing site ‘on the back of’ another site (name).org.

To recap(!) my new Xara site needs to include the genealogy web pages created by Second Site and I have absolutely no idea how to do that. The person who put the existing site together is just as clueless as I am about all this.

Can anyone suggest how I might solve this one please?

This is Second Site address if that helps at all: http://ss.johncardinal.com/

Jenny

Info Re: Include pages from another site and publish

Quote Originally Posted by JFry View Post
    I am building a new history society website for my village using Xara Web Designer 365.

Bearing in mind that I am very much a novice, I am struggling to get to grips with how the existing site has been set up and how to add one of its elements to my site. The existing website has a tab in the navigation bar that is populated from a genealogy database, TMG (The Master Genealogist which I believe is no longer supported) and the web pages are created by Second Site. I am told that UK.net are hosting the existing site ‘on the back of’ another site (name).org.

To recap(!) my new Xara site needs to include the genealogy web pages created by Second Site and I have absolutely no idea how to do that. The person who put the existing site together is just as clueless as I am about all this.

Can anyone suggest how I might solve this one please?

This is Second Site address if that helps at all: http://ss.johncardinal.com/

Jenny
    Jenny, the simplest way is to use the Embed a website Widget that you place in a new Xara page for your site.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Include pages from another site and publish

Although I don't know how to do it yet, the new website will have the same address as the existing. If I embed part of the existing, won't that cause a problem?
    Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by JFry View Post
    Although I don't know how to do it yet, the new website will have the same address as the existing. If I embed part of the existing, won't that cause a problem?
    Jenny
    You said otherwise. Can you explain exactly what the URL of the new site will be? In that site, you will add a genealogy page (<new site>/genealogy.htm).
    In Xara's design page (genealogy), you add the Embed a website Widget with it looking to http://ss.johncardinal.com/.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The existing site is http://www.wonershhistorysociety.co.uk/index.html. The 'People' section is http://www.wonershhistorysociety.co....h2-o/index.htm. Currently hosted by UK.net 'on the back of' greathead.org. I would be happy to take the easiest route, eg leave host as is or use Xara. If I only knew how.

Jenny

Jenny, what you have is a generator product (Second Site) that produces your people stuff and it publishes HTML pages of genealogy, menus and searches to a location http://www.wonershhistorysociety.co.uk/Wonersh2-o/.
    If you republish your main site in Xara to http://www.wonershhistorysociety.co.uk/, the Wonersh2-o folder is untouched.

All you need is a Xara link People to http://www.wonershhistorysociety.co....h2-o/index.htm, which opens in the same tab. Personally, I would suggest a new window as when in the Wonersh2-o space has no back link to your main site.
    Here's all you need for a Xara link: http://acorn.xara.hosting/wonersh/.

Reconstructing your main site into a Xara site would be a fairly mundane exercise , allowing room for improvement.

How you support your genealogy data and upload into Second Site is another matter.

Acorn

The embed a website widget (Insert > From Content Catalog > Components) lets you add a page from another website into your own. You can stretch the embedded site to any size you want.

On the page you want the other site's content to appear, select Embed A Website and click Import.

Enter the URL for the page you want to embed, click Generate Code, then click Insert.

After a few moments, a page will appear (see second attachment). You can stretch this page to any size you want, or leave it as is.

The embedded web page is live and the visitor can scroll through and follow any links, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	embed.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	117361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	embedded page.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	117362  

Hi Jenny. You can easily create your new site with all the content of the old one apart from the People section, which I don't believe you want to touch, just link to?

Having looked at the 'People' section I don't think embedding this into a placeholder is the best way forward as the height & width can require long vertical & horizontal scroll-bars.

Just link as it currently is. In the Xara navbar create a button 'PEOPLE' and in the Link place http://www.wonershhistorysociety.co....h2-o/index.htm and either open it in the same window or a new one.

In the current site, all the pages sit in the root directory of the hosting server www.wonershhistorysociety.co.uk

There is a sub-folder named 'Wonersh2-o' which contains the genealogy site. Leave this as-is.

I would also suggest you leave the current site as is and create a sub-folder named 'new-site'. Publish all your new site to this sub-folder. Once you and TPTB agree it's ready to replace the current one, then you can create a further sub-folder 'old-site' and use Filezilla FTP or similar to move all the old htm pages & other related stuff from the root to this 'old-site' sub-folder.

Finally republish the new site to the root directory.

EDIT: Cross posting. I hadn't seen Acorn or Gary's replies earlier.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Gary, the genealogy site is far to tall & wide to fit comfortably inside a placeholder. See screen-grab & note both the scroll bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wonersh.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	117364  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Cross posting. I hadn't seen Acorn or Gary's replies earlier.
    That doesn't matter Egg, we both provided the exact same answer. Two heads... Egg head and Acorn nut!

Acorn