Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Faux Emboss/Deboss

This subject has cropped up before, but here's a new (to me) twist on how to achieve this effect.
    The font I chose was Austral Slab {LINK}, but you can use whatever font you want.
    1. Type some letters.
    2. Copy and paste them on top and slightly offset them from the original. (See Fig.1) Save a copy of what you have done so far.
    3. Select both sets of letters and Ctrl+4 to slice them. Save only the thin pieces and discard the rest.
    4. Now select the copy you saved and slightly offset them so that they are positioned like the bottom text in Fig.1
    5. Select both sets of these letters and Ctrl+4 to slice them. Save only the thin pieces and discard the rest. (See Fig.2)
    6. Colour one set of thin pieces to Black and the other to White and align them as in Fig.3 and group them.

I clipped a noise texture into a rectangle and placed my text effect on top of that (Fig.4).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	117272
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	How to.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	117271  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Default Re: Faux Emboss/Deboss

That's how we used to do it before we had the Emboss Tool, Bob. Except I never used trim. I made the top text the same color or pattern as the background.

Gary,

When you say the Emboss tool, if I am following you right then what you are referring to is the Bevel tool in Xara?

Ray

If Ray is correct, then the Bevel tool, which I dislike because, like the 3D tool, the end result isn't vector. At least it isn't if you export from Xara as a.pdf and then open it in Illustrator.
    The method I used (prehistoric though it apparently is () produces a vector result.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    If Ray is correct, then the Bevel tool, which I dislike because, like the 3D tool, the end result isn't vector. At least it isn't if you export from Xara as a.pdf and then open it in Illustrator.
    The method I used (prehistoric though it apparently is () produces a vector result.
    Bob.
    Yeah. I don't use any technique that makes my image raster and no longer vector. I even turn my photos into vector just because I need my images to be crisp at any size. Awesome technique Bob! I still prefer to make multiple clones of display sized text to create depth than to use the blending tool. The blending tool doesn't turn anything raster but it won't let you have darker sides to the text. If you want to create depth by making the sides of the text have a shadow then just make the fill darker on all the clones except for the top layer.

Mark

That technique is also great for creating an unobtrusive watermark on an image if you apply a transparency to both shapes Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watermark.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	117276  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Yes, Bevel Tool.

That's a cool tip, Egg, thanks.