Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Set text background

The ability of "‘Set text background" in the latest version was always a bit of a meh for me
    and I found it interferes with my usual practice of setting colour outlines by right click in the colour bar.

Xara allows you to set the old ways which suit me fine.

Except for today I need that pesky effect and surprise surprise I now find no way of applying it

When I right click I get the popup menus but no sign of "‘Set text background" which Xara assures me it should be..

Anyone rescue me?

FROM HELP..... Applying a Text background color

To apply a text background color - in effect a highlighter-style background color...

•Highlight some text using the Text tool or select text object(s) using the Selector Tool
    •Right-click on a color in the Color line
    •Select Set Text Background

To get rid of the background color...
    •Select your text
    •Right-click on the 'no color' swatch on the Color Line
    •Select the Clear Text Background option

Default Re: Set text background

You're sure you right-clicked on a color in the Color bar and not on the selected text itself?

This creates the effects of text highlighted with a marker pen.

In order for this to work (I just discovered) you must have Page Options > View > Right Click on Color > Show Menu enabled (which I never do)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text background color.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	117297  

With text selected, Color Editor, click the drop down and select Current text background. Set the color desired.

Wow thanks Gary -

that really had me stumped - its an effect I dont like but "needed" on this project.
    And like you, I maintain the "old ways" of right click lol
    Xara may need to add a note about that in the help section

They should. The other way of doing this is create a rectangle, add a color, and apply Multiply (Stained Glass transparency). Duplicate the rectangle as needed for other words.

Did anyone try using the color editor for this? It works fine...no need for rectangles, much less introduce unnecessary transparency.

I just tried it Mike and you still have to select Background Color and then mix the color. Then what do you do the next time you need to highlight the text and you want to use the same color? 6 of one, half dozen of the other IMHO.

That's why God invented named colors, Gary. If I had a flier or something of the sort and wanted to use a text highlight, I would create a named color and use it for the background color. then one just uses the picker to select the named color in the color line.

What I wouldn't do is use a rectangle...not as long as the background color exists, anyway. And what do you do with this method when the copy changes, Gary? Move each rectangle?