Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Copy design to another computer

I honestly have tried to find the answer to what is presumably a very basic question but without any luck so please accept my apologies.

I want to install Xara Web Designer 365 onto another computer. I have the installation disk/serial number and assume I will be able to install the actual program without any problem. What I am not at all sure about is how I get all the necessary files, images etc across from one pc to another. I have found a 14.4 MB .web document in AppData\Local\Xara\WebDesigner\12\Backups which, if I double click it, opens up in the same way it would from the program app. Is that the only file I need or do I need each individual image copied across as well?

When I install the program on the other computer, will it be obvious where I need to put the copied files?

Hugely embarrassed that I have to ask about this but I have run out of ideas.

I'd be grateful for any help you can give.

Default Re: Copy design to another computer

What you need to copy are the .web files, for example myphotowebsite.web

The backup files are tedious and reflect changes saved every 10 minutes. These are good to have but your document files are what you really need.

On your current computer, do a File > Save as... and notice where your file is being saved to. Probably in the Documents folder. Then find all the web designer files (.web) and copy these over to your new computer.

File>Save as... unfortunately opens the backup copy because I used that earlier to see if it was the file I needed. I have, however, looked in Documents and there is a .web file. Does that hold the images I have used as well? Also in Documents in a folder name_web_files that has two .swf files (whatever they are) one .pdf and one .jpg.

Everything should be included in the .web file, including photos and objects, text, the whole enchilada. But it won't hurt to copy the other related files as well.

Also, if possible, make sure everything is working on the new computer before you get rid of the old computer.

I'll give that a try. Thanks for your help Gary.

An alternative is to save all your Xara files to Dropbox or Google Drive or similar. The advantage of this is that if you do work on one computer and save it then open it on a laptop from a different location, the file is always the latest version.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by JFry View Post
    File>Save as... unfortunately opens the backup copy because I used that earlier to see if it was the file I needed. I have, however, looked in Documents and there is a .web file. Does that hold the images I have used as well? Also in Documents in a folder name_web_files that has two .swf files (whatever they are) one .pdf and one .jpg.
    .swf are flash files.

Good idea - thank you.