Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Replacing the topmost-image in the Ultimate-template page forces image to black/white

I am experimenting with the Ultimate template and have created a website-page. One of the nice features of Xara Designer Pro is that I quickly can replace the images with my own. Another cool feature is that it looks like the template (or image-settings)
    also can adjust the incoming image. Normally this would be cool, but what if I want to control it anyway, and bring in a full color image instead? Where is the black-and-white filter specified? and removed?

The original page before dragging in a new image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-05-02_16-29-47 - Original image in Ultimate.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	117277

... here is the colorful image I want to drag into the template image;

Name:	2017-05-02_16-35-08 - Colorful image to soon be dragged.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	117279

Finally, here is the result showing how the image/template-settings has black-and-whitened my page;

Name:	2017-05-02_16-37-08 - After dragging the image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	117280

Default Re: Replacing the topmost-image in the Ultimate-template page forces image to black/w

Welcome to TalkGraphic

I am guessing that what makes the image black and white is the Saturation is set to -100%. But be that as it may, select the image, (if the image is part of a group then hold down the Ctrl key and click on the photo) then select the Fill Tool (F5) and select Flat Fill.

Now hold down the Shift key and drag and drop your photo onto the flat filled shape.

Default Re: Replacing the topmost-image in the Ultimate-template page forces image to black/w

@gwpriester, the latter trick worked! Thanks a lot!

BTW, couldn't see that the saturation of the image did anything (for me that is, haha, being a noob in Xara :-)). Below you see the phototool settings in a freshly created page based on the Ultimate-template

Name:	2017-05-02_17-02-43 - Phototool settings with original image in Ultimate.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	117284

Lemme play around with the Ultimate template and see if I can see what's going on.

Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

OK. Got it. The black and white photo is a contone- two colors, black and white. So when you drop a photo onto the contone the replacement photo also becomes a contone.

By selecting the photo and setting the fill to flat, the contone settings are disabled and the photo you drop determines the type of photo.

That make even a tiny amount of sense?

Yes, it makes sense! Thanks again for very prompt answer.

Acorn, I did try to search the forum, but unfortunately I didn't catch the linked resource. Sorry!

The best way to search is via Google. Use this format (I know there are other ways but this works for me). search words site:talkgraphics.com

So, if I want to search for pink drop shadows I key in pink drop shadows site:talkgraphics.com

That's good to know Gary. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The best way to search is via Google. Use this format (I know there are other ways but this works for me). search words site:talkgraphics.com

So, if I want to search for pink drop shadows I key in pink drop shadows site:talkgraphics.com
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

I have moved this to the Web Design Chat forum as it is more web related. Kind of. Sort of.