Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Follow Links

Default No Follow Links

In order to stay in the good graces of Google, you need to have a no follow on links that go to other sites that you may get any type of payment from. This would apply to affiliate links like Xara has for its products.

I do web sites with independent sales representatives and if there is a link to one of the sites that they represent, it would need to be a no follow link. Google can penalize the site that is doing the linking and the site it is linking to. Google started this in order to get rid of these link sharing sites and the paid back line schemes that were around for older SEO.

With using Xara software there is currently no way to enter a no follow link. It would be helpful if there was a radio button on the Web properties window which you could select that would put the no follow code in:

Typical code would be:
    <a href=”insert URL here” rel=”nofollow”

Currently a person would have to manually go into the HTML code and place the no follow.

I have seen that over the last couple of years there has been a couple of questions on this and there was never a solution.

Typical requirement for no follow links :

paid links
    press releases
    advertorials
    affiliate links including sales representative use of equipment brochures on manufactures sites.
    and native advertising
    Review of products that was gifted as part of the review

Several large companies have institutes a requirement that they only allow no follow links to their site in order to not get afoul of Googles policy.

Ray

Default Re: No Follow Links

Ray, you could put something like $("a[href*='http']:not([href*='"+location.hostname+"'])").attr('rel','nofollow'); into the site placeholder but Google will not find (see) any URLs with "nofollow" in the source so you will still be penalised.

So not much help,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn,

Like you pointed out, that will disable all of the links for do follow.

We need the ability to only disable specific links. With multi page web sites, it becomes very burdensome to try and modify the site's HTML code. This seems to be an easy fix by just adding a radio style button that would add this into the code. Xara may say that this is very entailed change but I do not think so.

Ray

Never had need to use "nofollow" but I recall on a recent thread someone had typed the text "theater" in the Open Link drop-down box (never knew you could do this) to link to a placeholder named theater and load various video files into that placeholder named "theater".

I've just tried doing the same typing in "nofollow" and it appears to correctly append the target="nofollow" to the <a href> tag

<a href="http://www.bbc.co.uk" target="nofollow" onclick="return(xr_nn());">
    <span class="xr_ar" onmousemove="xr_mo(this,0,event)" style="left:163px;top:92px;width:247px;height:40px ; background-color: #007F01;"></span>
    </a>
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nofollow.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	117163  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

I tried what you suggested and it seems to work. The only questions I have is target="nofollow" the same as rel="nofollow" from google point of view for crawling a site? I will have to do some more research on this, maybe someone knows the answer off the top of their head?

Thanks
    Ray

Egg, it is not the same.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

In my research, what Acorn is saying is correct.

Target= is used to tell the system how to open the link, i.e.. same frame or new window.

Rel= is used to tell the system the the relationship between the current document and the linked document.

This information came from the w3schools.com website, which I use for programing questions.

So it looks like we are back to Xara needing to make a change to the program. I wished someone from Xara would reply to see if there is some other way to do this.

Ray

Egg, it is not the same.
    Yes, I understand that now, thanks Acorn.

It also appears that target is being dropped in the future so perhaps Xara will need to update the link window soon too? :

The <link> target attribute is not supported in HTML5.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Ray, text links with rel="nofollow" seem to work fine but I can't get a button to do the same.

<p>
    <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk">BBC</a>
    </p>
    Egg

Egg,

Where are you entering this code at?

When I first discovered this problem, I tried entering the code rel="no folow" under the Web properties box for the email address and nothing worked. Xara could not handle this.

Ray