Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Some cool facts about photo presets

Hi Ray,

Ok first, when you save your preset the photo is saved in the preset file. If you double click a preset file to open it the file will open and you will see your original photogroup containing the original photo and any extra layers you set up just as you saved it. If you drag and drop the preset onto another photo the program sees the _xaraphotopreset part of the file name and it applies the settings and any other layers contained within the photo group to the new photo so basically only the photo is replaced. Some of the presets I have published on the Xara Marketplace have multiple layers of settings and textures and all come across just fine.

Second, as I explained in the video when you make a preset it works best to use a square photo and I use the same size as Xara uses for the presets supplied with the program, 800 x800 pixels. In the video I was using a clipview to keep my size exact and that clipview needs to be flattened before creating the photo preset, which is what the bitmap copy is about

Since making the video I discovered that you can use the photo clipping tool to clip your photo to a square and eliminate the need for the bitmap copy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi Ray,

Frances has answered whilst I was making this. Perhaps between hers and my reply this will help.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg The add enhancements layer does do something and I have found it is best to leave it if you are trying to create a basic preset. If you look at the add enhancements layer when you have the Xara made preset open and with it selected use the selector tool click the name tag icon on the infobar and you will see they have given the layer a special name photoreset Now I have been trying to get some clarification from Xara on this layer and it's importance but from my own experimentations I have noticed that when trying out different presets on the same photo that without this layer your preset doesn't get removed so basically I think this layer is what makes the difference between a basic preset and an overlay preset. I have noticed that the new overlay presets don't have this layer.

So for the copyright notice you created in your video you created an overlay The copyright is quite a useful idea BTW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Hi Frances, Like yourself I don't fully understand the add enhancements Layer. In my attached xar file it seems to make no difference if this layer is retained or deleted.

So for the copyright notice you created in your video you created an overlay The copyright is quite a useful idea BTW.
    Thanks. I was only trying to think of a serious use of presets and this was one of the only ones I could think of that could be of serious use. Adding a grainy texture was another. But in the main most are just eye-candy.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

True, but eye candy isn't necessarily a bad thing Another use for presets is batch processing. Say you have a batch of photos that were all taken at the same time and all are slightly underexposed you could use one to create a preset, save that preset to the folder where all your photos are then add the folder to the designs gallery. Drop all your photos into a document and select them all. Select the preset and click import. the preset is then applied to all at once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

These photo presets aren't available in Xara 9, are they? I was watching the YouTube and the option on the side doesn't match what I see. Is this Pro only? Would love to use photo overlays for my books covers But I don't see it in my Designs Gallery.

Hi Emmeric, photo presets are a feature of versions 12 (365) as far as I'm aware.

View this comparison table.
    Egg

Excellent, thank you for that link. Looks like I need to upgrade from 9.