Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Re: Are designers and artists crafters or makers?

I once got into a discussion here about the difference between 'art' and 'craft' - don't remember the outcome, think it went round in circles....

to me 'art' is in the creativeness, and 'craft' is in the delivery

but as an artist [and not a designer] I don't really care too much about academic definitions for the sake of it

everyone is a maker - even if it's only a cup of tea for example
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm not going to do the survey. Sorry.

I'm no artist, but I do consider myself a decent designer and an even better mechanic.

that last one might make you an artificer then mike...
    Nothing lasts forever...

I guess i should stick with Crafter since the term of maker is wider and almost every people could make something, but not all of them are called as an artistic work.

just for posterity - I did not start this thread... the original Post has been deleted and the moderators in their usual way have given no indication of this and so it gives a false impression of what was being said, and why, amongst other things

as donald would say at the end of a tweet: IMPOLITE!

Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    just for posterity - I did not start this thread... the original Post has been deleted and the moderators in their usual way have given no indication of this and so it gives a false impression of what was being said, and why, amongst other things
    as donald would say at the end of a tweet: IMPOLITE!
    Wasn't me guv! But Moderators do not delete things "in their usual way". What may happen is an errant member is totally removed and this is across all Threads and All Posts. So some Threads end up as collateral; the shear volume of patrolling every Thread and Post so affected is IMPRACTICAL!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

but if it was removed in such a way, as I remember from my days as a mod, then that is actually 'usual' on account of how, unfortunately, there are lots of them pesky spammers and trolls about; so it would be far better to automatically replace all deleted posts with a 'deleted post' flag - I have seen this done elsewhere! SIMPLE!
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    but if it was removed in such a way, as I remember from my days as a mod, then that is actually 'usual' on account of how, unfortunately, there are lots of them pesky spammers and trolls about; so it would be far better to automatically replace all deleted posts with a 'deleted post' flag - I have seen this done elsewhere! SIMPLE!
    Point taken. SIMPLES!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat