Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara photo and graphics designer 2013 MX in linux wine

Ok I know Xara doesn't officially support linux but here's the thing.

I installed Xara photo and graphics designer 2013 MX on wine and it seems to work fine, no problem. But then I start it up the second time and it crashes while trying to load the startup xar file. So If I reinstall it, same thing, works the first time, second time crashes. Using the trial version to test.

Has anyone got past this glitch? This is on linux mint.

Default Re: Xara photo and graphics designer 2013 MX in linux wine

so, actually, it does not work fine under wine.....

I'd be interested to know myself if anyone has - can run it in vm and bootcamp I know....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Well it does run but then the second+ time it won't.

which may mean it does not save correctly
    Nothing lasts forever...

Well I didn't even try to save, I just opened a complex file navigated around it for a while, moved some things and then closed it. Next time I opened xara p&g designer (starting with the default file again) it would not start.

ok - maybe then the program did not close down correctly....

I used linux a year or two ago - never had any success with wine - crossover a little better, but still not at all clever with xara products

there is at least one member here I know who runs xara on linux, but he uses a virtual machine, VMware I think... and that does mean you need to install windows and have a licence of course

if a program uses windows routines that are not available outside of a full windows installation, then it isn't going to work properly... and xara is very closely tied to windows in the way it does things

maybe ask wine directly, or a linux forum?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Maybe but probably no one will have used it and then there are so many versions.

Though it seems unlikely that it's missing some routines because it does work the first run.
    Last edited by Forumarian; 17 April 2017 at 12:50 PM.

I'm sorry but I don't think you are getting the point..

all things work ok, up until the point at which they stop working ok

by far the most likely reason it won't start is that it did not shut down correctly - and it does not 'work correctly first run' if it does not shut down correctly and in a 'clean' state; that is part of the first run... right?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ok I know Xara doesn't officially support linux but here's the thing.
    The thing is Xara doesn't support Linux. Neither does it support iOS. So if you're having problems loading the software, this is why
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.
    the bit to pay attention to is Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly which is not going to be good enough for some applications because the translation algorithms can't cover every eventuality [at least, not for free, and maybe not even then... ]
    Nothing lasts forever...