Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Windows 10 Creators Update

You know what's best for you, handrawn! I tried the Group Policy option and it works for me.

glad to hear it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

One thing that worries me about ALL these automatic updates, is are we going to get to a point that WINDOWS says "The hardware you are using does not meet the minimum specifications for this update". Are we going to be forced to upgrade hardware and thus re-purchase windows OS?
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

my impression is that it's not an issue with security updates - and other updates will just not be implemented if the hardware is not suitable - but in theory at least it could be one day...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Well, that was a total disaster for me. First of all it took at least 5 hours. When it was done it seems to totally screw up my internet connection. All I got in Edge were spinning wheels and in Outlook "contacting server". I tried Chrome, but all I got was a blank page. I rolled it back today and fortunately everything seems back to normal. I will now wait until the update gets pushed to me and see if it works then.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

oh dear - well at least you were able to roll back

not sure why it varies so much in time - connection speed? server load? state of the users' computer? ....
    Nothing lasts forever...

HELP!!
    I don't know if anyone would remember, but I posted a while back a problem whereby, after a Windows 10 update (I had gotten Windows 10 for free through their upgrade from 8.1), I kept getting a warning message saying that I needed to "activate windows settings" because my license would end. That was fixed.

However, now, after an update yesterday, I started getting a message saying that I need to activate windows because my service will soon end!
    In "Settings" it says that "Windows is activated using your organization's activation service".

Also, while in settings, it says that I have Windows 10 Enterprise Edition! I originally had Windows Home Edition, so I'm puzzled that after this update yesterday why it now says I have Windows Enterprise.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Hi Ron

that sounds to me like you have a computer with KMS ['company'] activation rather than 'individual' activation - so the first question is, did you buy the computer brand new or was it second hand in which case it may be an ex-corporate machine

as I recall, last time you had an activation problem you mentioned that your computer had been repaired by a third party, so if you bought it brand new they may have put a KMS licence on rather than an individual one as part of the repair

look on the bottom of your computer - if the original was an 'individual' licence then it should be there on a sticker for 8/8.1 [assuming it's a laptop - else sticker probably on back]

if that is there then you can try deactivating the licence and then reactivating - if you have this original key I can let you know how that is done....
    Last edited by handrawn; 13 May 2017 at 06:45 AM.
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks Steve!
    Yep, I finally got a hold of the individual that reinstalled Windows 10 for me, and he stated that he did in fact install Windows Enterprise.
    I checked the sticker on my computer and it has the Windows 8 sticker. So now I'm not sure what to do.
    HE told me that this happens with some computers with Enterprise once a year, and that he can correct it for now. I don't like the idea of having to fuss with this from time to time, but the fact that when I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 for free, it was downloaded off of MS's website, not a cd. So, I don't know what to do...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Hi Ron

that sounds to me like you have a computer with KMS ['company'] activation rather than 'individual' activation - so the first question is, did you buy the computer brand new or was it second hand in which case it may be an ex-corporate machine

as I recall, last time you had an activation problem you mentioned that your computer had been repaired by a third party, so if you bought it brand new they may have put a KMS licence on rather than an individual one as part of the repair

look on the bottom of your computer - if the original was an 'individual' licence then it should be there on a sticker for 8/8.1 [assuming it's a laptop - else sticker probably on back]

if that is there then you can try deactivating the licence and then reactivating - if you have this original key I can let you know how that is done....
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

ok - so you upgraded your win 8.1 to 10 and had it activated before he installed windows enterprise - right?

and you have the windows 8.1 activation key - right?

if so then go to settings, update and security, activation - you should see a section update product key - click on the link for change product key, enter your windows 8.1 key click 'next' and follow the instructions - after you finish reboot

this should reset your computer since it was running windows 10 home before, on an upgrade licence and the MS servers will 'know' this - but I have to say it may not, [it depends what was actual done by said third party] - otherwise may have to restore
    Nothing lasts forever...