Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Lost the Guidelines that displayed when moving and placing objects

I was very pleased when these neat guidelines starting working with Web Designer. When I moved an object there was a thin red line that would indicated when the object I was moving was left, right, top, bottom or center aligned with another object on the page. It was really great for lining up a row of pictures, etc. It was also very helpful in placing an object in the center of the page (horizontally).

This week those cool guidelines quite showing up. I have tried to figure out what I did the make them start and now why they went away but I am at a loss.

Any help on this?

thanks,

eric

Default Re: Lost the Guidelines that displayed when moving and placing objects

Eric,

In the selector tool check the "Snap to Objects" icon, the magnet one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snap.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	7.4 KB 
ID:	117021  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You can also snap objects to guides. Go to Window/Snap to Guides.

Thanks guys.

I am using Designer Pro X and Wed Designer Premium 365. I opened the same simple webpage in both and the blue/red guidelines show up in Designer Pro but not Web Designer. I checked several times and looks like I have the setting the same in both. So is this cool feature just in DP and not WDP?
    Checked in both programs:
    Show Rulers, Snap to Grid, Snap to object
    Snap to Guides is greyed out in both programs, I don't think I have a guides layer setup

Not sure re all various versions of Xara & older versions but I hope this helps:

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg,

You are awesome. Thanks for the terrific video. So it is the "Snap to Object" functionality that I stumbled into using fairly recently (that I quite like) and is not happening in Web Designer but with the same document it is working in Designer Pro. I'll keep looking at the settings but you certainly helped by identifying what the function I was referring to.

Thanks again,
    eric

... and is not happening in Web Designer but with the same document it is working in Designer Pro.
    Then why are you using Web Designer? Designer Pro is the superior software within your Xara software and has all the features of your Web Designer plus more, so just use that
    Egg

right, seems silly I know. But I usually have both open and use atl-tab to quickly switch between the two. Using Web Designer to build sites and doing any graphics work in Designer Pro. Guess I like alt-tab better than just using the tabs in one program. I also typically have them running on different monitors.