Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Creating part website in Xara and part in another program

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post

I would put the files into a subfolder called "shop" or "gallery." In there would be the photo gallery with the main page being index.html.
    Let me start off by admitting that I don't know much about building websites (which is one reason I got Xara). But I'm confused.

It sounds like you have a website and you want to make (and link to) another page called "shop" or "gallery" where you will have photos. But isn't the main landing page of any website "index.html"? How can you link to another page (photo gallery) that also has a page called "index.html". Unless that is the page that you want to be your main landing page.

That has me confused.

It sounds like you have a website and you want to make (and link to) another page called "shop" or "gallery" where you will have photos. But isn't the main landing page of any website "index.html"? How can you link to another page (photo gallery) that also has a page called "index.html". Unless that is the page that you want to be your main landing page.
    Yes, the home page is typically named index.htm or index.html (no difference, just htm was used before Windows could support more than 3 characters for an extension)

But what is being discussed here is how to include a page from another website into Xara, an existing gallery or e-commerce page. So if you are using something such as the Embed a Website widget, the if the name of the page you are linking to is called MyShop.html then this is the page you would include.

If you are linking to a sub directory however, and you have named the sub directory myshop then you would publish to the myshop sub directory just as you would to the main site, and name the landing page index.html and link to mysitename.com/myshop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	embed.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	116995  

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyW48 View Post
    Let me start off by admitting that I don't know much about building websites (which is one reason I got Xara). But I'm confused.

That has me confused.
    While Xara is great in concealing the nitty-gritty of building a site, that may be a problem. You have to familialize yourself with some basic concepts of HTML in order to use Xara in a more advanced way. For starters, see some general introduction, like this one about linking: https://www.washington.edu/accessit/...t2/module4.htm

You can have several subsites by putting them into separate folders, e.g. your main site is located at you www root folder, it may be called 'www' or 'public_html', there is an index.html in this folder which is the one you will see when you invoke 'www.mysite.com' or whatever, this main folder can have subfolders, each with their own 'index.html'.

When implementing this in Xara, you could leave the subfolders as is, and just put a link to www.mysite.com/subfolder/index.html in Xara (in a menu or some other linking object), and the subsite would take over when invoked. Or you could embed the contents of the subfolder using Xara into a Xara page that resides in the main folder. Xara would then show the subfolder contents within its own framework. The linking in this case would be accomplished when embedding the external content.