Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creating part website in Xara and part in another program

I need to use another program where I set up a store with PayPal or just a picture gallery. I can put them into a folder off my main public_html area. Can I do this without complication?
    While I love using Xara Web Design, can I also use another program to say make the "store" or "gallery"?
    If it will work right, what is the best way to implement it so I don't mess up my other pages that are created in Web Design?

Sue

Default Re: Creating part website in Xara and part in another program

Hi Sue, see ECWID at this link https://www.ecwid.com/?source=PPC-g-...FVFWDQodKOgK-g You can then use the widget to put it on a separate store page. Depending on how many items you have it may not be free but it works just fine.

Ciao

Roly

Hi Roy. Thanks for the link and info. I already have software to create my store or page to sell. I just want to make sure when I use it, that I know how it integrates with this software, so that I don't hit some weird glitch.

Thanks for what you shared...
    Next..
    Sue

Hello Sue,

You can safely do this. If you are using some program that creates the files for you, then it is advisable to place them into a separate folder under your public_html. Just leave the 'index_html_files' folder alone, it is there that Xara puts picture and other support files. If you are using an HTML editor, you can put your files in the same folder where your Xara HTML files are, presumably in public_html or your web root folder. The only things to remember are to avoid using the same filenames in Xara and the other application (no overwriting of files), and to make the links in Xara web properties differently, using 'Link to Web or Email address' with full web address when pointing to external files, and 'Link to' when using Xara pages. The external application can point back to Xara pages using normal fully qualified web links. You may find useful Xara's ability to make bitmap snapshots of screen elements eventually reusing them in the other program.

Happy Exploring!

Hi Sue, what is the software you will be using. Knowing this might click with some of the readers who could share their experiences with you to minimize glitches.

Ciao

Roly

Quote Originally Posted by roly View Post
    Hi Sue, what is the software you will be using. Knowing this might click with some of the readers who could share their experiences with you to minimize glitches.

Ciao

Roly
    Thanks for asking, Roly. Jalbum!

Quote Originally Posted by lex View Post
    Hello Sue,

You can safely do this. If you are using some program that creates the files for you, then it is advisable to place them into a separate folder under your public_html. Just leave the 'index_html_files' folder alone, it is there that Xara puts picture and other support files. If you are using an HTML editor, you can put your files in the same folder where your Xara HTML files are, presumably in public_html or your web root folder. The only things to remember are to avoid using the same filenames in Xara and the other application (no overwriting of files), and to make the links in Xara web properties differently, using 'Link to Web or Email address' with full web address when pointing to external files, and 'Link to' when using Xara pages. The external application can point back to Xara pages using normal fully qualified web links. You may find useful Xara's ability to make bitmap snapshots of screen elements eventually reusing them in the other program.

Happy Exploring!
    Thanks, Lex. I don't know what you mean by "bitmap snapshots" so please elaborate.

I would put the files into a subfolder called "shop" or "gallery." In there would be the photo gallery with the main page being index.html.
    So on the link from Xara to them, would this work out okay, since I would not be using Xara's "shop" page or "gallery" page that would go into the public_html section, if I had used them, which I won't be. Does that make sense?

Thanks Sue, but I have no experience with Jalbum, sorry. But I did see on their site that they have a forum, I did a quick search for Embedding in Xara and got the following https://jalbum.net/forum/search.jspa...5&rankBy=10001

You might want to consider joining that forum before going too far and getting frustrated. Let us know how it works out, some other TG's might be interested.

Ciao

Roly

Thanks Roly. Had not thought of looking in their forum. I know embedding with it is not the best, as I had asked before about this for another site I run. Since I'm starting from scratch with Xara and not Dreamweaver, I just want to do the best job I can while learning a new program. Appreciate your link! Since I have used Dreamweaver in the past to do all my websites, I run, I've integrated Jalbum in the past for anything with pictures. It's pretty easy. Wish I could embed as it would be cleaner!

Quote Originally Posted by roly View Post
    Thanks Sue, but I have no experience with Jalbum, sorry. But I did see on their site that they have a forum, I did a quick search for Embedding in Xara and got the following https://jalbum.net/forum/search.jspa...5&rankBy=10001

You might want to consider joining that forum before going too far and getting frustrated. Let us know how it works out, some other TG's might be interested.

Ciao

Roly

Quote Originally Posted by SueB View Post
    Thanks, Lex. I don't know what you mean by "bitmap snapshots" so please elaborate.

I would put the files into a subfolder called "shop" or "gallery." In there would be the photo gallery with the main page being index.html.
    So on the link from Xara to them, would this work out okay, since I would not be using Xara's "shop" page or "gallery" page that would go into the public_html section, if I had used them, which I won't be. Does that make sense?
    Yes, I think you've got it. One of Xara's great features is the ability make bitmaps of selected elements (buttons, other distinctive graphics) that make up the look of your site. Just select an object and reuse it in the other program. How to create a bitmap snapshot: 1) From the context menu, select 'Create bitmap copy', you get options which allow you to finetune the picture, or 2) From 'File, Export JPG' which is more straightforward. In jAlbum, you could use this as a logo, etc.

Embedding jAlbum may work to some extent, but I would just add connecting graphical elements to both subsites, and leave them separate.