Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default ECWID works only on one variant

Hi. I contacted ECWID about a problem I was experiencing whereby a clients ECWID store was not appearing on the mobile variant. They informed me that I had inserted the code twice to the same page, which I guess I have done as the mobile page and desktop page are always named the same. This is what they sent me :

Alex with Ecwid team here. This is a follow-up message to your previous chat conversation with one of our agents regarding the issue with your store on mobile devices.
    I have inspected your store (http://5-2dietshake.com.au/shop-5-2d...supplement.htm), and from the source code of your website I see the following: Ecwid Product Browser code is inserted twice to the same page.
    Line 104:
    Alt text
    Line 244:
    Alt text
    The thing is that Ecwid scripts can be loaded only once irrespective of how many times you inserted them to the page. As far as I know, Xara guides suggest using the mobile version of Ecwid Starter Site. Many Xara developers had already faced the similar problem wuth doubled Ecwid script on the desktop and mobile version that cannot be loaded twice. So if you need to have a separate mobile storefront, you can use Ecwid Starter Site, which has a responsive layout. It is also possible to change its URL for your own subdomain name and configure the automatic redirect to the Starter Site in your htaccess file, when the user accesses your site from a mobile device. You can refer to the thread on our forums where one of our agents provided a code for configuring the redirect to Starter Site, used as a separate mobile storefront: http://www.ecwid.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29703
    Hope this helps. However, if you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

So my conundrum is this; my client likes ECWID and wants both the mobile and the desktop version. I tried doing as ECWID suggested but had difficulty doing so. Has anyone an ECWID store on their Xara website and how did you get the store to operate on both variants? Any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers, Abi
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

Default Re: ECWID works only on one variant

I believe they have a code for mobile separate from desktop or laptop.

It's an ID issue which Siran has pointed out previously for forms but I believe this is the same problem. I believe you can rename the ID's such that they're not the same in both variants but hopefully Siran or Acorn will wander by shortly and explain better than I
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg. I contacted ECWID and they told me that I could only use the one ID as that ID is specific to the store front. And Behzad they do not have separate codes for mobiles and desktops. Apparently the problem is that in Xara when you create variants you actually create 2 separate sites (one main site, one mobile) but they share the exact same page name, and ECWID see this as 2 scripts/codes on the one page. Wordpress, Weebly, Wix etc do not have this problem as you create one site and the site adjusts automatically depending on the device used. I will continue to try to nut this out...or wait to see if Siran has a solution. Thanks. Abi
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

2021... and sadly, nothing has changed it seems.

The problem remains the same.

Even if you have a single variant in Xara (so that there's only one Ecwid script) the embedded Ecwid shopfront appears, scales with the screen, but the layout does not adapt!
    Ecwid's recommended workaround is that you reroute your own sub/domain (e.g. shop.yournamehere.com) to show the Ecwid Instant Site. That's supposed to be fully responsive (scale and layout), but you will require a paid Ecwid account!

And that option does not require Xara of course... possibly a blessing in disguise perhaps? But it means you have to 'modify' the Instant Site to match any existing Xara-based site.

Otherwise, without your own sub/domain, you can at least change the Ecwid Instant site prefix to a preferred name (e.g. from "store123456.company.site" to "yournamehere.company.site") at no cost. It's worth doing whatever the chosen option.

It's a shame there isn't a way to 'report back' the embedded Ecwid site to alter it's layout, based on the screen-size... (I am currently looking at a few post/articles...). Even if it wasn't 'dynamic' and required a page refresh... that'd be better than the current situation.

TTFN

Reason why xara is not good for e-commerce. For all other mini or informative sites it is ok. I personally would work with other platforms like you have mentioned. Then again your post was 2017 and now in 2021 there are many great e-commerce solutions online that are self contained and do the work .

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Reason why xara is not good for e-commerce.
    Not so fast, behzad: https://www.xt-cms.com/about. Xara Tom, hence the 'XT', designed this CMS originally for the XDAs.

Hi Boy, sure there is that. But compare the features of that to squarespace for example. For someone serious about selling online I would encourage those kind of dedicated platforms.

As long as the OP can choose among all the options....