Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Renewal date approaching: what exactly are our options and costs?

I am very disappointed that what was once included in the price of our software is now an additional extra. On April 20, will I still be able to access the Content Catalogue?. According to this, I probably will not.

Another year of access to the Online Content Catalog with its huge collection of themes, template graphics, widgets, photo filters, stock photos & illustrations and much more - all fully searchable within the Content Catalog
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

I didn't knew that the price of the Xara Web Designer Premium only includes one year of these services and then you have to pay for them again
    I mean, it's not an issue, but there should be a clear table or something, that shows what you are getting in return of the price you are paying, like:
    1) How much the software (itself) costs
    2) How much the services costs (I see the Online Content Catalogue as a service)

Do we have a place, that we can see this?

So I have just renewed my cover for XWD365P for £30 as a "special offer"; the original purchase is now £70. Both prices include VAT. Upgrade cost is 42-45% of original.

My fallback version seems to be the upgrade to 30 March and not the 05 April one I expected or even to 11 April one just out, which is not being offered to me. I am confused.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

never mind, I am sure xara know what they are doing.... [thinks... there again....]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I am disappointed that I can no longer access the Online Content Catalogue/Design Gallery since the Renewal fee has been introduced. My clients purchase the Xara software, I create their websites in Xara, and then I teach them how to use Xara. My new clients are not too keen to have their sites made with Xara now that they have to pay a yearly renewal fee to be able to access anything on the online Catalogue; for instance, if they want to change elements (not content) on their website once they have the site handed over to them - things such as nav bars, buttons, etc. Although I do not use the templates, I borrow lots of elements from various templates that I now do not have access to. I also do not have access to buttons, slideshows, photo galleries and all the other things that make a great website. The wonderful thing about Xara previously was that you could purchase the software, own it outright, and have access to everything. It wasn't until 365 that the Content Catalogue became a compulsory online thing and it seemed apparent to me then that Xara would very soon make this Content Catalogue something that we would have to pay a 'subscription' for. I know the yearly renewal price is not very much and that Xara is a business that needs to make a profit, but now, on principle, I am saying adios to Xara and will now use other software to create sites.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, 'Oh s$%#t....she's awake!'

Quote Originally Posted by Abikadabra View Post
    I am disappointed that I can no longer access the Online Content Catalogue/Design Gallery since the Renewal fee has been introduced. My clients purchase the Xara software, I create their websites in Xara, and then I teach them how to use Xara. My new clients are not too keen to have their sites made with Xara now that they have to pay a yearly renewal fee to be able to access anything on the online Catalogue; for instance, if they want to change elements (not content) on their website once they have the site handed over to them - things such as nav bars, buttons, etc. Although I do not use the templates, I borrow lots of elements from various templates that I now do not have access to. I also do not have access to buttons, slideshows, photo galleries and all the other things that make a great website. The wonderful thing about Xara previously was that you could purchase the software, own it outright, and have access to everything. It wasn't until 365 that the Content Catalogue became a compulsory online thing and it seemed apparent to me then that Xara would very soon make this Content Catalogue something that we would have to pay a 'subscription' for. I know the yearly renewal price is not very much and that Xara is a business that needs to make a profit, but now, on principle, I am saying adios to Xara and will now use other software to create sites.
    TG are sorry to lose you. Xara will have to speak for itself, which i think it has. I, too, used to offer my clients a one-off purchase of the Xara product, with which I did the design. That like many things has come to an end.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Abikadabra,

Prior to your renewal date, you can down load the content catalog and burn it to a DVD and always have access to it. As long as you have down loaded the catalog, you will have access to it on that computer. If you have to reload the software then you would need the backup copy of the catalog from the DVD. That is why you should back the catalog up to a DVD. There has been a couple of post on here about backing up the catalog so you have access to it.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Abikadabra,

Prior to your renewal date, you can down load the content catalog and burn it to a DVD and always have access to it. As long as you have down loaded the catalog, you will have access to it on that computer. If you have to reload the software then you would need the backup copy of the catalog from the DVD. That is why you should back the catalog up to a DVD. There has been a couple of post on here about backing up the catalog so you have access to it.

Ray
    Abikadabra,

As Ray says, downloading everything from the catalogue before the expiry date has been discussed, not just in this thread but many other threads, ad nauseam. As well, you should have received a DVD with the program and the content on it. I received this and installed the content, and I did not specifically have to purchase the DVD; I purchased the download and the DVD came in the mail. So, the only thing that you and your clients could potentially be missing are new features and content that came out since you purchased - just like before. And if you updated before the renewal date and don't have to reinstall the program, then you have the new features and they will still work until such time as you have to reinstall. Before the 365 scheme, you had neither new features nor new content until the new version came out and you paid for it. So, you are now better off.

If you did use new features and they are required for your business, then pay for the renewal to lock them in - just like you did before....and make sure that you import everything to the Local Designs Gallery and make a backup.

In case everyone has forgotten, there was a lot of content that one used to have to pay extra for that Xara simply included for free in the on-line content in the 365 version - and free to download.

John
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

but isn't abikadabra's whole point [and acorn's] that the clients can't be expected to do this ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Probably, but the Xara Online feature in the main circumvents the need for the client to own a copy. In fact I believe this is a far better alternative. If the client has a copy of Xara they could (and most definitely will) cock up the website.

Far better to allow them limited access to amendments via Xara Online in my opinion.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host