Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Unhappy Unable to Unclip a Group

This happens to me occasionally and it has been happening since 2009.

I often use 'Q' the clipgroup function, but sometimes the option to unclip is grayed out when the clipped group is selected. However, if I press Alt + Q, the group will unclip anyway. I'm not sure what causes this. Sometimes, I save and exit the program and then can unclip. However, I currently have a file that will not unclip no matter what. I really wish that Xara would fix this. When I click on the group, it does say "Clipgroup Selected" in the tooltip.

Does anyone else have this problem? I guess I could open the clipped group, select all objects and create a new file, but what a pain.

Default Re: Unable to Unclip a Group

any chance you could post that file up -or a file with just the unclipable group? -I guess that should be un-unclipable group
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    any chance you could post that file up -or a file with just the unclipable group? -I guess that should be un-unclipable group
    Here it is.

sample.xar

You get the Unclip option back in the menu if you remove the drop shadow and select the clipped group. It does it that way for me (Pro365-March update) on a new group I just made, clipped, shadowed, unshadowed... Don't know if the developers consider that to be a bug or whether it's expected behavior.

yes rich is correct

applying a shadow means it becomes a shadow group, which 'overides' the clipview group [ie the clipview is nested within]

edit - i'd say expected behaviour...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yes rich is correct

applying a shadow means it becomes a shadow group, which 'overides' the clipview group [ie the clipview is nested within]

edit - i'd say expected behaviour...
    Oh ... Okay, thanks you two. I didn't intend to add the shadow to any group, so I must have selected the wrong thing while working and I must do this to myself often. Will know for next time. This is the only roadblock that I get consistently having used the software for a long time.

if you expand the page and layer gallery you can see the structure of an object and determine whether you can select any particular grouping directly
    Nothing lasts forever...