Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 good friends

Hey Richard, very nice unicorn pic!
    Yes, I have a DAZ membership -- and also the unicorn pack, but haven't experimented with it yet -- this recent pic with the girl and horse is the first I've tried with the Mil. Horse, but I have many many plans for it (I have always loved horses) and will definitely have some serious fun with the unicorn too.

Looking good, Richard!!!
    ---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain
    IP

OK, Miss Maya, what is your handle on the forums?? Gotta know hon!! I know you don't hang out there much but you must have picked something unique out just in case!!

Thanks for the compliment. What an appropriate thread!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Hi Richard -- I'm back again! Certainly is an appropriate thread = much agreed!
    Actually about the DAZ forums, I've never posted there before. But I suppose I could start! I'm registered for the store as Crow Haven...so I suppose that's what I would login on the forums with. I didn't know you were over there too.

Got to playin with the girl and painted horse pic again and created a higher res. render then made a portrait out of it with some coloring changes....ya know that Mil. horse has some incredible details in the textures of hair and coat too...try using the sharpening tool in PSCS in places and watch how the coat textures pop out.

---Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain
    IP

Oh yea Maya, very nice. I like this one very much!! Of course the Native American is quite attractive in her attire too!!

I post TONS over at DAZ. Do a search for RAMWolff and you will see my dear. I post there like I used to post here. Well on my way to 1500 posts actually in 6 months, not bad!! I ask alot of questions but now I'm answering alot of questions too!! That tends to happen!!

I know they would just love you there at the DAZ forums. I usually hang out in the Commons and the DAZ Discussion forums the most. Little trickles in the Bryce and Freepozitory forums.

I tend to really enjoy my time with PSCS these days as I think it's a great compliment to DAZ Studio (or Poser, but I don't use it too much) as I still have alot to learn about lightintg, displacement maps, bump maps and reflection/refraction maps. I'm an old newbie at this point. If you ever do decide to give DAZ Studion a spin make sure and read up on all of Questor and Lakys stuff in the DAZ Discussion forum as they know about the above mentioned pretty in depth compared to the rest of us!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Okay -- I posted over on one of the DAZ forums, Richard. I wasn't sure where I ought to post, and finally just gave up and posted a copy of this most recent pic in the "Art Studio" forum. Don't know how it will go over as I'm so new to this type of artwork, but I stuck my foot in the door. I think I noticed Nikkie around over there (from PSG) too.
    ---Maya
    -Mark Twain
    IP

Still thinking about Poser - got more time to think than I have money to spend

Trying to understand what you get in the box between Poser and DAZ.

Downloaded DAZ and played around with it, but disapointed that you only get one fairy out fit and one hair style. With DAZ comes a 'basic' vicky, so I downloaded v3.0 only to find the one outfit I have (for 'basic' vicky) does not seem to cover the nipples of V3.0 (or am I missing something!!

I know that is why DAZ is free, cus you pay for the content, but it means it's hard to understand the price. Again as Richard says as a Platnum member you get lots of stuff for $1.99, but as I see it basic stuff like cloths and hair is not for £1.99.

So how much is spent on DAZ?

Likewise, going for Poser- how many animals and figures (with cloths, shoes etc) do you get?

Sorry if I sound tight, but these are part time hobbies for me so I can't afford to fire $100's at it.

Turan
    IP

Hi Turan -- I haven't yet tried out DAZ Studio (Richard loves it though and I think he'd recommend it and could give you better info on what else you would need to go with it). As for basic Vicky and Victoria3 -- if DAZ supplies come with Victoria 1 or 2 then that would explain differences in bodies with V3. Poser uses morphing dials under properties menu for the figures and objects selected so you can change their dimensions in many ways -- so you can also change the clothing figures, or another way to avoid body parts sometimes poking through costumes is to also go to figure properties and make the body part checked as invisible. Things depend on what DAZ Studio allows and I'm just learning Poser myself.
    The forums over at DAZ are filled with helpful people, tips and tutes.

As for the content you use -- that's up to you. There are many art sites which have free 3D models available (try looking over at Renderosity.com) and search the web for more...but you will probably want to collect a few of the other $models. The Platinum club is a real savings...there are loads of clothing and other models very inexpensive...but again check out what there is at Renderosity and PoserPros to start. I can't say what's best for your budget, but perhaps just start with a little and add to it gradually.

Poser6 is coming out very soon with a special edition figure also added for early orders. Poser5 comes with quite a nice start of basic figures, women, men,kids, clothing for all these in a nice variety, some extra props and several animals. It would be my choice to go with Poser if DAZ Studio doesn't give you other figures, and if you can swing the purchase of Poser6 that would be even better.....but think it over carefully. Be sure your computer requirements are met too = those 3D files get HUGE.

Give Richard a yell about DAZ Studio -- he can give the best advice on it and what might help ya out.
    ---Maya
    -Mark Twain
    IP

Hi Turan!

DAZ Studio does come with a limited amount of free content but keep in mind that DAZ Studio is free too. As Maya explained Poser costs money but you get much more content: a family of characters along with animals, textures and props as well as some scene content I believe. I have Poser 5 and found the learning curve a bit much, esp in the Material Room (plugging in textures and bump maps with entire dialogs are just plain ole confusing to this ole boy! ).

DAZ Studio, on the other hand, has a Surfaces tab that is similar but it much much easier to learn but JUST as powerful, trust me on that!! Don't be fooled by the lack of content making the program "less than". It's become a forerunner in the 3D poser community because it's so easy to use compared to Poser and it's FREE, something Poser definitely is NOT!! But since it's only in beta lots of artists are not supporting it, which is too bad because it's worth supporting. DAZ Studio #1 is just around the corner and I'm quite sure that DAZ has some goodies up it's sleeve for the big release, meaning probably free content up the wazoo and some commercial plugins that will extend the programs abilities quite a bit (which is also another way in which DAZ will pay the bills and continue to develope the program and other interests they have going).

DAZ Studio has been in beta for a couple years now and is CONSTANTLY being updated so it's not like it's a couple of guys that are just playing around and then it will go "poof" no more support. DAZ relies on folks to buy the content to pay for the development of DAZ Studio as well as further developing technology to improve the characters and recently aquired Bryce 3D as well as the forementioned plugins for D|S.

So if your on a budget but really could use Poser type content to create art or commercial material then it might be worth your while to invest in the PC membership and you DO save LOTS of money, not to mention that when Bryce 5.5 is released there is a deal that goes with that that only PC members get as well. It's all up to what your doing it for. If your just doing it as a hobbey and on a tight budget then you might search Rendorosity, PoserPros (now owned by DAZ too!) Runtime DNA and this little gem: Kozaburo's Site for free hair props that will blow your mind with how natural it looks when rendered. It's my favorite hair and he's constantly updating fits for other characters too. You will NOT find hair props that look that good for FREE anywhere on the web. He's an amazing artist/modeler and is so generous to offer this stuff up for free. I'm astounded by his generosity. I know, this stuff takes time to put together (model the hair in a 3D program, then texture it and put it all together so it fits on to various characters. Lots of work!!) I'm very appreciative.

Aiko is another free character from DAZ in her most basic form but you will need to purchase the Morph pack, which will run you about $25.00 to really expand her morphing capabilities. See this page: Aiko 3.0 Starter Pack. It's a great deal!! You can do just about anything with this character, from Anime to Realistic using the Morph dials in DAZ Studio. From Superhero to sexy diva. If you become a PC member there are quite a few nice things for $1.99 for her as well as the other sites mentioned above. You will have to research it all though.

If you do decide to invest in Aiko there is another page of FREE stuff that's just out of this world and can be found here: Aiko3 Xinxin. Not many morphs can be used for most of the clothes but they are of high quality and the page is hosted by non other than Kozaburo. So worth checking out!! I have them all. I know some of the costumes look a little on the chavansitic side but take the costumes apart, mix and match pieces to go with other pieces and you have a very valuable addition to the Aiko clothing library!! There are boots and high heels, hair, bikini and one piece bathing suits (the bunny deal) and other goodies. I was just blown away by the quality. So another reason to invest in Aiko, imho!!

If you have more questions then just post them here and I will be more than happy to help you out.

Have fun!!
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Here is Aiko in a Xinxin type dress and heels and one of the free Kozaburo hair props. I call her Sexy Mama!!

So I paid $25.00 dollars TOTAL for this kind of hobby fun Turan!!

Dress, heals and hair all free as well as the base character and the program that I did all this in too!! Yea, I'm a bit more schooled in DAZ Studio and can achieve some cool effects but I'm far from being a master. The background WAS finished off in PS-CS, also free, a gift from a client. What can I say, being a hairdresser has it's perks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aiko_-_HotMamaPS.jpg 
Views:	1917 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	20109  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    IP

Many many thanks for your help on my question. At the end of the day, I've got to remember that as much as there is free content on the web - I got to pay for something .

All my 3d stuff has been with Cinema and I love it. But I'd just love to add people into my cinema work, but I notice that is not to easy between the two tools - unless I want to spend more money again.

At the end of the day you folks are wonderful adverts for both DAZ and Poser and you're just making my green with envy for your talent. Keep up the good work - keep posting.

Turan
    IP