Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Font Changes

Default Font Changes

HI
    I am using Xara Designer Pro X and have just used the 'Able' template to make a Flower Farm website for a friend. I showed her ten fonts from Xara and she chose Berlin which I have used for headings.
    It looks fine on my desktop in all the usual browsers and as far as I can tell from her on her laptop...but when I viewed it on my IPhone 5 the font had changed. I do not know what to...and am aware that these things can happen. But what I don't know is how to fix it! I have been searching on Typekit to see if I can find font similar but so far no joy. IT doesn't help that I don't know the kind of font that Berlin is! doh!

So you can check it out the site is under review on http://review.arranflowers.com

Can anyone help please?
    ps I have also got to change the email address as that shouldn't be showing as an email just in case anyone is wondering why I have left it like that...it was temporary
    Last edited by moonstardust; 31 March 2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: additional comment

Default Re: Font Changes

Hi Moonstardust, I like your clean website but I do not have an IPhone to check out your site, sorry. I do see the words Isle of Arran right over the last part of FLOWERS in the title (see attached). I am using Internet Explorer. Just thought you might like to know.

Ciao

Roly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charlottes Flowers.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	116693  

I know!!! I saw that this morning!! I was so mad!!! I forgot to change the size of the title to match mobile...have done it now but am also updating several other things will reload and see...

THANK you for compliment on how it looks

Your welcome Moonstardust.

Ciao

Roly

I have made some changes and now it doesnt do that but still think I need to mke teh size of titles smaller for mobile so it doesnt go off screen... but that was very useful so thank you Roly!

Still waanting to work out what to do about teh font though s it changes the look of the site so much when viewed on mobile!

Hi, Someone will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong but when I use an unusual font for a heading I always change it to a bitmap copy or to editable shapes.

I looked at your site on my I-Phone 7. It appears to me to look all right as far as the font type. However the color is coming in as more of a grey versus white, which you may want to change. Also, for the mobile site move the "Isle of Arran" below the Charlottes Flowers.

Ray,
    Last edited by RKissane; 31 March 2017 at 02:35 PM.

The font looks the same but is vertically stretched in the iPad version, which I prefer.

I'd also move the Isle of Arran down to it's own space.

You have a rogue apostrophe on one variant but the idea of which is correct I'll leave to better wordsmiths than I

Comparison:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlottes-flowers.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	116700  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

HI everyone and thank you so much for your reviews.... thats great!!...what I m endeavouring to do is keep the title on one line... and am shrinking it as far as I can to enable it to stay together...

think the reason it coems across not as white as it should be is that with using Berlin font it is quite feint so I have upped the thickness in text and that might be causing fding of the white... I am about to try Papyrus and see if that works...but it was trying to sort out why the font is different and what I can use instead to ensure the font is same in mobile/tablet/desktop as well as all browsers...I think if I am right that on top of that is the set up of people's individual mobile/tablet/desktop that will also impact...however just wanted to see if there was something I could do to get over the first part...

I have deleted the wording that slides up on the mobile first page as that isn't clear and can't be seen s soon as you move the website.. a shame that we have to stop mobile users enjoying the same experience as desktop users... but there you go!

The apostrophe should have been on the main variant so thanks for picking that up Egg!! the flowers are of Charlotte so it should be there yikes!! so thank you!

Wow! such lot of work ... have been trying to prepare it ready for SEO... but a lot of fun... and 'customer'...am doing it as favour and not charging... she is like a niece and want to see her do well with this new business..she works hard

If anyone has any ideas on the font and how to get round the problem ? meanwhile will continue to correct and experiment

Hi Moonstardust, if you want the same font for all devices use a Web Safe Font. You can also put a shadow, If you do, remove the blur and transparency as well as putting the horizontal and vertical position at 1 px. to make it look whiter

Ciao

Roly