Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Problem when site is uploaded to 1and1 host Looks a MESS - Help Please !

Hi Sorry after thinking late last night/early this morning that pic is on this/new web site, it was also on the old web site I built in 2012 Thanks Dave

Default Re: Problem when site is uploaded to 1and1 host Looks a MESS - Help Please !

Hi Egg
    Thanks alot for all your help & staying up so late to help I'll explore how to do that !?

I was up as 7am so like you only 4 hours kip!!

I'll get back to you & let you how I get on, hope to solve that today.

Thanks again Dave

Basically what's wrong with your site is you need to upload all the .htm files and the folder 'index_htm_files' to your root directory.

Re EGGS suggestion above can someone please explain how I do the above with abit of detail, does Egg mean to do this locally in the folder where I saved all my files when I exported the site ready to publish it? i'e: a local folder with both sets of above
    or something I do on my hard-drive?
    or at the hosting company which is 1&1?
    If I need to do this with the hosting company (1&!1) root folder which is what I think needs to be done,how do I do this using filezilla, I have set up filezilla etc..& all works & can upload but the site doesn't upload correctly & looks a mess as per screen shots at the beggining of this post.

I only have access to the 1&1 hosting via Filezilla ftp program/sofware.

Many Thanks
    Last edited by Davora; 30 March 2017 at 10:49 AM.

Davora

The easiest way is to just publish your site from Xara (see attachment). Created in Web Designer 365 but the steps should be the same for MX

1. Click the world icon in the Infobar and from the fly out menu click Publish Option.

2. Click Other Web Host (via FTP) Settings

3. Enter the same information you enter to connect with Filezilla

4. Press Explore Web Space (if the information you entered is correct you will connect to your web host's servers and you will see your files)

5. Press OK and then press Apply

6. Got to File > Publish Website

If for some reason you prefer to do this in Filezilla, then publish to a folder. I create a folder on my desktop and publish to this folder.

Inside the folder are the htm pages, and the index_htm_files folder.

Using Filezilla, connect to your web host 1&1 and to the sub folder where you are supposed to put your files.

Copy the contents of the folder (all your .htm pages plus the index_htm_files folder to this directory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	publish.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	116678  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 30 March 2017 at 12:58 PM.

Hi GWP
    Thanks for your reply I tried direct from Xara web designer to publish the site, everything appeared to upload, but if you do to the domain name/site www.davora.eu you will get the following message.

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I attach a pic of the info' I entered in the publish part of the site as far as I can see I entered everything correctly in the publish tab, & the upload went up but I don't know what went wrong?

WHEN I TRIED TO UPLOAD A SECOND TIME - See Below;
    Editing as this time I got an Error from Xara please see attached pics, I don't know where the program is searching to find the files to upload, as I don't have a public_htm folder, I have a local folder which I created where I export the site called index_html, maybe that is the problem now? I take it the program can't find the files to upload, basically it got to 8% & stopped.

I must have entered the correct details to upload the site as it finds the files when I click the tab 'Explore web Space'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FILES TO BE UPLOADED.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	116685Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XARA UPLOADING.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	116683Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XARA ERROR .jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	116684

thanks again for your time..

DaveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Davora Publish Details.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	116682
    Last edited by Davora; 30 March 2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: extra info

Hi Dave

No fears, we WILL get this resolved. (Famous last words)

I used public_html for the sub directory because it is what my web host requires. Is this the sub director 1and1 says to publish to? Some web hosts do not require that you publish to a sub directory and others have a different name, for example Network Solutions uses htdocs.

Here's another thought. I think 1and1 have a phone number at the top of their web page. Why not call their support and have them confirm your settings. It is the most direct way to deal with this.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Hi Dave

No fears, we WILL get this resolved. (Famous last words)

I used public_html for the sub directory because it is what my web host requires. Is this the sub director 1and1 says to publish to? Some web hosts do not require that you publish to a sub directory and others have a different name, for example Network Solutions uses htdocs.

Hi Thanks I'm pretty sure that 1and1 must require public_html, (I don't have access to the panlel as I host through a client to 1&1) I only have the log in info' etc. I seen like public_HTML flash flash up when I was uploading the site & because it couldn't find the file, I guess it created the error? If I export my site as I have before to a local folder & the change the name of that folder to public_html (or rename the folder or sub folder) will it find it automatically? or can I choose where the program looks for the folder? as I'm not sure on that.

Also I take it that on the publish tab settings I should leave the Sub Folder setting as public_html ?

I wonder if it publish ok with existing folder names (local folders on my laptop) (named index_html) If I remove 'public_html' the Sub Folder setting ?

Hopefully I'm on the right path?

Many Thanks Dave
    I hope I can resolve tonight as I was up until 2am this moring & up again at 7am!

Are you able to delete all the files from the hosting so as to start afresh and then re-upload your new website?

Hi Dave. Try putting in the exact same details you used in FileZilla into the Xara publish window. Don't use any additions. Don't use a subfolder. To see if it works hit the Explore web space bottom right of this window. If the details are correct it should open a file type explorer window. Close this and hit publish site.
    In the browser hit curl +F5'

Hi Miko & egg I'll get on my laptop as I'm on my iPad back in 2 mins I was able to delete all the files from the host server back in a min thanks so much Dave