Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Help- changed from designer 10 to 12 and now my site looks terrible

These are screen-grabs of your site in FF, Chrome & Edge. I see no problems.

I suggest you're looking at a different url than the rest of us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tom-burke.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	116635  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

If you hit refresh in safari or Firefox the previous pics I posted flash up for a split second before my banner loads above. It hasn't done that for the last 3 years I've used xara 10 when I created the site. It's been doing it since I upgraded yesterday and reuploaded the site. Logic dictates that I eliminate the obvious changes..and that is moving to 12. If all else fails I'll reinstall 10 again.

A question -when using templates and replacing placeholder graphics in a page do the original images sit somewhere on another layer lower down? Is this why this graphic issue is occurring? It's loading that before my replaced image? I'm just trying to figure out why something I thought had been removed my adding my own is still sat there in the page?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firefox.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	116643 this is a clearer version of what Firefox is doing with the verdana font
    His is my set up in xara

Name:	xara12.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	116644
    And this is chrome which loos fine as does explorer

Name:	chrome.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	116645
    It looks like Firefox is struggling to render any fonts on my machine from my site. As you say it looks fine on my android fire fix , chrome explorer and safari. So I guess I will have to assume it's a Firefox bug and live with it.
    I'm still looking at the banner placeholder issue because that's odd.

Additional -I've found the images in the layers on the pages. Deleted the offending layers and just reuploading.

Thank you everyone for your help. I think I'll have to live with the scruffy way Firefox is rendering it and just hope the next Firefox upgrade fixes it. On the upside this has given me the impetus to start digging away at all the bits which make up the components of my template which I didn't really touch before!
    Last edited by Britangie1; 26 March 2017 at 03:27 PM.

Britangie, the reason the text looks poor is that it's not text, it's a jpg! At least on the home page. You've grouped the text with something so Xara's exporting it as a bitmap
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Britangie, the reason the text looks poor is that it's not text, it's a jpg! At least on the home page. You've grouped the text with something so Xara's exporting it as a bitmap
    It shouldn't be. It wasn't set up like that. Looks like the front page and the filmography pages have changed to a jpg -the rest are as I created them. Not sure why they've changed as not amended any settings and were text before. I was getting error messages to do with memory on my old xara 10 (hence the upgrade) so wondering if something's got corrupted when I opened it in 12. Right, all set back to text. Still no change looks wise but at least it's functioning properly now.
    Also the biography page I screen capped above is still text so the jpg thing is a red herring sadly.
    Last edited by Britangie1; 26 March 2017 at 09:56 PM.

Okay, can we just stick with your Home page at present as supplying screen-grabs of different pages only confuses the issue.

I attach a screen-grab of your Home page as rendered with Firefox, Chrome, Edge & Safari. All look very similar to me apart from the Safari rendering, which is not just crappy but all the spaces between the words have been stripped.

Can anyone else confirm this?

http://www.tomburkeonline.co.uk/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	britangie.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	116651  
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Okay, can we just stick with your Home page at present as supplying screen-grabs of different pages only confuses the issue.

I attach a screen-grab of your Home page as rendered with Firefox, Chrome, Edge & Safari. All look very similar to me apart from the Safari rendering, which is not just crappy but all the spaces between the words have been stripped.

Can anyone else confirm this?

http://www.tomburkeonline.co.uk/

Your cap of safari is similar to what I see in Firefox on pc but the spacing is okay.
    On my iPad Air safari (latest o/s version) it looks fine. It's just really really odd.

Okay, can you supply a screengrab of your home page in FF?
    Egg

Just to update on this I've updated Firefox and text is back to normal. I'm not sure if it was a glitch with Firefox but it's looking tidy again! Thank you all for trying to help!