Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Website not loading with Firefox

Hi

I have a website which has worked for several years and is updated every day or so. I have always viewed it myself using Firefox.

For the last few days it has failed to load properly using Firefox (the page index2 never seems to complete the loading process).

It works with Microsoft Edge and a relative has checked that it works on an iPad running iOS 10.2.1 and on an iMac running MacOS 10.12.3 . (It is very slow to load on an iphone and the links don't work - this may be a different problem).

It works on all the browsers when using the localhost.

So the problem appears to be a failure to load using Firefox. I might have thought this was a problem just with my computer but I was informed by some users that the website 'wasn't working' - no details given unfortunately.

I have contacted my web hosting service but their initial, and only response, was that they'd checked the website and it worked for them.

Has anyone any knowledge of changes to Xara or Firefox which has resulted in this 'falling out'? Can anyone try this out and let me know if the site works for them on Firefox or whatever. The more info I have to give the web hosting firm (if it is their fault) the better. I'm considering changing web host but the present one has been OK up to now.

The site is : www.pyramidfolk.co.uk

Thanks,
    Ian

Default Re: Website not loading with Firefox

My relative has now tried Firefox on his Mac.

He reports : "The page loads but none of the links on the map work; it just says connecting but does not get anywhere. I then tried Chrome on my Mac and it won’t load at all, not even the front page."

Firefox, Windows 10 Pro loads fine. iPhone with WiFi enabled Safari very slow and then I get an error Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding.

That said I have noticed that complex pages frequently time out on my iPhone even with a strong WiFi connection and your page with the map and locations has a tremendous amount of information. Maybe for the mobile variant you are better off with an alphabetical list?

Thanks Gary

I'm thinking this is a server problem with the server timing out before loading is complete. The page index2 is very large.

As far as creating a mobile variant is concerned (the original site was created before tablets and smart phones became so popular or even existed) that would be a very good idea. I hadn't done it before because I was thinking of the map as an integral part of the site, but maybe I need to ditch it.

Regards,
    Ian

Simpler is always better for mobile variants.

Hi Ian, opens and works in FireFox 53.0b4 (32-bit) but if I leave it open it tries reloading/or loading something and 'The connection has timed out'
    Opens on iphone 5 but the info buttons don't show the info when clicked.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi, Just went to the link in Watefox (64bit) and it opened,, then change to Firefox (32bit) and it also opened. Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Strange effect here.
    Got the timeout you mention at first try. Tried for some time and always the same for about 10 Minutes. And suddenly everything works just fine...

Thanks for all those observations.

I have loaded the site temporarily to another web hosting company and everything works as it should.

My deduction is that the web hosting is causing the problem - unfortunately they don't agree!

I think I'll be looking for a new web hosting company.

For information :

I have got the site working on another web host (which may be faster and therefore able to cope with the problem).

The problem seems to be a problem with Firefox no longer catering for javascript and the server times out while trying to trying to do something with it (that's about the level of my understanding).

A Google analysis says I should fix:
    Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
    Your page has 2 blocking script resources and 6 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.
    None of the above-the-fold content on your page could be rendered without waiting for the following resources to load. Try to defer or asynchronously load blocking resources, or inline the critical portions of those resources directly in the HTML.
    Remove render-blocking JavaScript:
    http://pyramidfolk.co.uk/index_htm_files/roe.js
    http://pyramidfolk.co.uk/index_htm_f...MobileFonts.js

As these files are generated by Xara what am I to do? Apart from raise a ticket with Xara which I have already done.

I've wasted days and spent money on a problem which appears to have resulted from Xara DP producing some duff code. Am I being too harsh here?