Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Publish (FTP) problem...

I am not sure why you need this many variants. 1 mobile sized variant would be fine. Visitors with tablets will see the main variant if they rotate their tablet to landscape.

I published your file to my xara.hosting account http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/BHLI-test/ It took about 3 minutes.

I wonder if you need a different web hosting company. I'm in New Mexico and xara.hosting is either in UK or Germany and this site uploaded very quickly.

Couple of points. The attached web file contains very little content/photo's.
    In the field below FTP I normally would append ftp. so yours would be ftp.bavarianhauslakefrontinn.com
    Your domain has far more content than the sub-folder /resptest

Can you try attaching the webfile again ensuring it has all the content?

Link to your current wordpress site is: (append /resptest to view your test site)

bavarianhauslakefrontinn.com

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 20 March 2017 at 11:23 PM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I also agree with Gary, four variants is overkill and more that two leads to problems also.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You are using the Xara Slideshow Widget. The size of your slider is 410px wide but the images uploaded are four times as large, 900px wide.

Reduce these image sizes to match the slider placeholder

https://cdn.xara-online.com/siba/sli...sIYE_k-?q=full
    Egg

I appreciate you both checking it out.

gwpriester, on your question about a different web host. I use GoDaddy for all my client hosting (52 clients currently). If I export the site to a local folder and FTP the files to the server (using CoreFTP), it takes about 5 minutes from here to upload everything. About the same with the publish function in other programs I use. XWD is the only one I'm having issues with, everything else is relatively quick and never times out.

You both mentioned the number of variants (also image sizes in the slideshow). But as I mentioned, I was just trying things out. I wouldn't use that many variants in the final project, but wanted to see how they all acted in a test situation. Same with the images in the slideshow, I just threw some at it to test out functionality. Normally I always spend the time to correctly size all images and other objects. Nothing in that project was meant to be final. Just wanted to throw some things at it to see how it functioned. Please don't take anything in that project file as an attempt at a real project. Still, I had thought about possibly going with 3 variants in the final version - desktop, tablet, phone. Still thinking about it.

Egg Bramhill, I'm not sure what you mean about a WordPress site, the current site isn't WordPress. You may have seen the WP files and mistaken them for WordPress, but the WP in this case stands for "Web Plus" (Serif).

Also, I'm not sure how I can attach the .web file with all the content included in the project file. I haven't seen an option for that...

Well GoDaddy should certainly have the bandwidth. So the next question is your connect speed. I have high speed cable and have an upload speed of about 12 Mbps. Not lightning fast but adequate.

Egg is asking for the entire document (if there is more than what you uploaded here).

I should add that I published your site to the link above using Xara's built in FTP utility.

Gary, I have two internet connections. Charter cable internet (60mbps plan), and Exede satellite (with the high speed modem). According to 'speedtest.net', my upload speed on cable is 14.31mbps, and on Exede upload speed is 3.18mbps. Both give the same results when I try to publish.

I should say that I'm not trying to imply that the program itself is at fault here, but there has to be some combination of something that's causing the issue. I'm one of those people that believes in sequentially eliminating possibilities until there is only one option left. Process of elimination (and a Spock rule for Star Trek fans). I upload site updates almost daily to multiple sites, using both FTP publishing systems in builder programs and standard FTP clients, and over the last couple days I've tried multiple programs on this particular site multiple times. The only program that won't upload all the files to this site (and another site I tried) correctly is XWD. And it always fails immediately after uploading "index.htm" - every time. Never gets to the next file, whatever that might be. That would seem to be a telling fact, I just don't know what it's telling me.

It could be something I've done in the project, or some combination of things. Having done this stuff since way before the internet (as we know it now), back when I ran a local BBS, I've seen a lot of strange things. This would be one of them. Something that works for everyone else, but not for me. And as I always tell people - if a program works for everyone else, but not for you, it's usually not the program. It's something else. I just can't figure out what it might be this time.

You say that Egg asked for the entire document, but I'm not sure what you mean. The .web file is the only document (or file) I see in the project folder.

I'm going to keep after it, and if I do ever figure it out I'll post it...

Okay, I figured it out......................but I'm not telling anybody how I did it.

Just kidding, of course. And I do appreciate all the help with this.

I finally changed the timeout values in the registry, and it appears that did it. I uploaded the full site with no problem and no error, then I uploaded again with "Fast publish" and that worked perfectly. And, for some reason, the full publish uploaded files much, much faster than before changing the timeout values. Doesn't make sense, but it worked.

Again, thanks to Gary and Egg for doing so much work looking into this. And I would make one suggestion to Xara if they ever check in here - add the ability to change the timeout settings to the program so people don't have to edit the registry.

Now, to actually start building a real site in XWD. And learn all the little ins and outs. Hopefully I can be of some help to someone else here in the future - pay it forward...

Glad you got it sorted This is often the advice support gives too. However I like many others don't like messing about in the registry. It shouldn't be required. XaReg has a lot of registry changes but unfortunately this isn't one.
    Egg