Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Publish (FTP) problem...

Hi All,

I originally purchased XWD quite a few years ago, and though I've kept it updated I never ended up using it to create a site till now. I like everything about the latest version, but have a problem.

I've created a site with 10 pages, and 3 variants. I have a repeating header and logo in place, and a navbar. I also added a little text on the home page for the test, the rest of the pages are blank (except for the repeating objects).

When I try to publish the site (using FTP) to a folder on the server, it takes about 12-15 minutes to get to 49%, then bounces back to 40%, tries a little longer, then crashes with the error "FTP Error: Remote file not found.". I've tried it with "Fast Publishing" checked and unchecked.

After trying this a number of times, I finally exported the site to a local folder and used an FTP program to upload to the same folder. Worked fine, no problems. Went back and tried a few more times from XWD, and continually get the same error in the same place (percentage). Nothing wrong with my internet connection, everything else works fine.

Anyone else had any trouble with publishing to a server? Thanks...

Default Re: Publish (FTP) problem...

Try closing the application, then right click on the program icon and select Run as Administrator.

If this does not work let us know. The solution might be to increase the timeout setting.

Also, once you do publish your site, if you select Fast Publish Only, the next time should be much faster.

Hi gwpriester,

Tried publishing running it as Admin. It spent the first 4 minutes on the first PNG file, flopping back and forth between 1% and 3%. Finally made it past that file, and continued on till it hit 40% on a JS file, then flopped back and forth between 40% and 42% while still on that file for another 3 minutes. It finally hit 50% while uploading 'index.html', but then flopped back and forth between 50% and 45% for another 6 minutes. Then, finally, after 18-19 minutes, it crashed with the same message. Never made it past 50%, as usual.

By the way, this program produces a ton of PNG files.

As a test, I published a full website to the same server with Serif WebPlus 8, WYSIWYG Web Builder 11, and Website Realizer, as well as uploading an exported site using CoreFTP. No problem with any of them. Relatively quick, and complete uploads, and not one hiccup. To complete the test, I tried publishing from XWD to a completely different server, same problem.

I can see that this is eventually timing out, but can't figure out why. And in that case, the error message "FTP error: Remote file not found" doesn't seem to make sense. Also, the percentage jumping up and down seems odd. I can't remember now, but this is possibly why I didn't continue to use the program a few years back...

I found this page in support but it does not address your specific issue. https://support.xara.com/index.php?/...er/Step/View/4

If you have the Website Properties > Website option Retina (hi def) Images checked, this creates a duplicate of each image at 192dpi. This might explain all the png files.

If this is checked, try unchecking and then publishing and see if this helps.

If not file a support ticket at https://support.xara.com

Thank you so much for the help, gwpriester.

Retina was checked, so I unchecked that. I also looked through that support page, and tried using the "Optimize all images" option, thought it said 0 files were optimized.

Without Retina checked, the next publishing test did seem to go faster, without as much bouncing back and forth on percentages. It hit "index.htm" at 34% instead of 50% this time, but then it started bouncing again. Back and forth between 34% and 30%. After quite a while, it finally crashed again with the same error.

Every crash happens on "index.htm", with the "FTP error: Remote file not found" error. I checked the code in the published "index.htm" file, and it seems complete, which means it's finishing the upload of that file. That implies that the next file in the queue would be the one causing the problem, but I don't know which file that would be or why it's causing that error.

I still want to try completing a site with the program, so for now I'll just export then upload with an FTP client. That works fine, but I don't get the advantage of an incremental publish (new/changed files only). I'll submit a support ticked sometime soon.

Thanks again for your help...

Codedog, thry searching using the complete link below. Dont click the link, copy the whole line & paste to the browser search window
    site:www.talkgraphics.com/ + FTP Error: Remote file not found
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Could you attach the web file or if it's to large save it to Googledrive or Dropbox and post the link here?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg Bramhill, thanks for the replies. I used used your link and found a lot of places where people were having basically the same problem. No solution yet, though. One thing I noticed is that almost everyone talked about various ",xhl" files, such as "index.html.xhl". I don't have, and haven't seen, any ".xhl" files when publishing or exporting. Either in the root folder or in the "index_htm_files" folder. This is all very curious.

When you say "attach the web file", I'm not sure what you mean. I think you're referring to the ".web" project file, could you verify that? Thanks...

The index.html.xhl file is used to determine what has been changed. In your case the file does not exist because you have not been able to publish your site. Chicken/egg thing.

Yes, if you can upload your .web document or if it is larger than 10MB a download link. I like to use Hightail.com https://www.hightail.com/ You upload your document to Hightail and they give you a download link which you can share here.

To upload a file to TalkGraphics, click the Go Advanced button below the message area and then go to Manage Attachments. Locate your file and send it.

Well, my .web file is only 250k, so I attached it here.

Please remember that I'm playing with a few different programs right now, and I've just thrown some things together for this test. This project is not (yet) indicative of where I'm headed on the actual site build. Just trying to get an idea of how best to work with some of the features of the program and testing the publishing capability so far. This is a test, and not intended to look like a good design or layout yet. Wouldn't want anyone to think this is representative of my work.

And thanks again for taking the time to look at this...
    Attached Files Attached Files