Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Security Certificates

I have been reading about page ranking and I am industry people say that Google is placing a higher rank for sites with security certificates versus sites that do not have them. I never really considered a need for security certificate with our site because we really do not collect any real information from people or do a web store. I was wonder what everybody thoughts are on this and if there are any real benefits?

Thanks
    Ray

Default Re: Security Certificates

Perhaps this article answers some of your questions: https://www.sslshopper.com/why-ssl-t...tificates.html

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Interesting information, thanks. Do you guys recommend for your customers to go with SSL certificates if they do not currently use iton their site or does it depend on the type of site?

Ray

In practice most sites that use ssl only do so on the pages handling sensitive data, personal details Credit & Debit cards etc.
    The remainder of the site is not ssl'ed (If that's a word)
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

https://letsencrypt.org/ tries to make enabling SSL as easy and automated as possible.

Nice link Luke. Thanks.
    Egg

https://letsencrypt.org/ this is very interesting. The only thing is it is designed for servers that are Linux based so sites on windows servers would have to go the traditional routes for the SSL Certificates.

I talked with our guy that host's our Web site and he has been using the letsencrypt on several of his servers and he likes it. He is going to move our site over to one of the servers that uses letsencrypt this week. One of the points he made is that in January for web searches, the search engines are stating to display that a site is not secure so some people may not visit a site because they think it could be a bad site. He is trying to move all of his customers over to new servers that have SSL certificates.

Ray

Interesting Ray.
    Egg

there are some hosts [I beleive dreamhost is one] that will include the 'letsencrypt' certificates as part of your package [free of course]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...