Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How many pages is too many?

Hi, probably a stupid question, but my website currently has 8 pages but I will be adding another 20+ pages, all will have a number of photo's or slide show etc. on them, just worried that this is going to slow the site up a lot. It is currently published as a supersite but realise I will have to go back to conventional with the extra pages added. Will Xara handle the extra content?? Thanks
    The extra pages will be added using a drop down link from one particular page.

Default Re: How many pages is too many?

Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    Hi, probably a stupid question, but my website currently has 8 pages but I will be adding another 20+ pages, all will have a number of photo's or slide show etc. on them, just worried that this is going to slow the site up a lot. It is currently published as a supersite but realise I will have to go back to conventional with the extra pages added. Will Xara handle the extra content?? Thanks
    The extra pages will be added using a drop down link from one particular page.
    Slideshows will probably be the killer. For photos, you can Name the image as filename=image and updates are less of a problem. You cannot do this as easily with sliders.

It will be better to split your site thematically now and publish to the same folder and keep the links as relative links and not Xara internal page links.
    You can publish a "sub-site" with a first page other than index, which makes this much easier to deliver.

Now, if you PC has enough RAM and computing power, you can publish sites up to 50 plus pages, with lots of graphics.
    Just hope that your upload speeds are decent.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,
    Not sure what you mean re 'sub-site' but I have just got a new computer, with the following.
    Hoping it will do the job

VGA 2GB DDR-3 nVidia GT-940M 16X PCI-E dedicated graphics. Switchable graphics with nVidia Optimus Technology. DirectX11 compatible.
    Memory 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Memory (1x8GB) Crucial (Micron) . Expandable to 16GB (2xDIMM slot)
    Hard Drive 1TB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    Hi Acorn,
    Not sure what you mean re 'sub-site' but I have just got a new computer, with the following.
    Hoping it will do the job

VGA 2GB DDR-3 nVidia GT-940M 16X PCI-E dedicated graphics. Switchable graphics with nVidia Optimus Technology. DirectX11 compatible.
    Memory 8GB DDR3L 1600MHz Memory (1x8GB) Crucial (Micron) . Expandable to 16GB (2xDIMM slot)
    Hard Drive 1TB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
    "sub-site" is just a collection of Xara design files that here are publishing to the same server folder to allow changes to a themed part of the site to be made without having to republished everything.

Tell your bank manager you need to upgrade to 16GB!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Better to have too few pages than too many. Err on the side of leaving a lot out. Simple is always better and if someone wants to see more they can ask to see more.

Hi,
    I have developed a website over a decade for a community club. The site contains over a decade of club events/shows etc plus many photos. I developed it in Seriff Webplus X8 and it is a 'large site' with 40 pages and some pages with lots of content. It acts as a repository of the club's history as well as attracting new members. I have had no troubles in uploading it to the 'web' using X8.
    However, Seriff is no longer supporting the software so I am in the process of redoing the site using Xara. However, I have only redone 13 pages (of which only 4 are finished) with a mobile variant and I am having trouble publishing the website using Xara Web designer Premium.
    I get the error message "Failed to setup bitmap for rendering. The requested bitmap may be too big." I assume this is related to the site size or page sizes but can not see why they have all published successfully in the past. I have tried to find information on Xara's file handling limitations without success to date.

I do not think my laptop is an issue as it is new with the top i7 Pentium chips, 16GB of ram and a 1 Tb SSD. Apart from Windows 10 it only has 'Office' and Xara installed.

If any one can point me to a forum/thread which would help enlighten me on this problem I would be grateful.

Extra note! I have just tried unticking 'retina images' and the site is now uploading. However, I have only done a small part of the original site and so am wondering if I will still run into problems. If the bitmap only related to individual pages I could probably work around it but if it relates to the full site I think I will have issues with the 'full site'.

This error seems to be related to an object/s that are way off screen. See the attached link. Without access to your web/xar file I couldn't say how else to correct this.

https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...o-setup-bitmap
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks Egg, I am investigating what you have raised and hopefully it will fix the problem.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alty View Post
    Hi,
    I have developed a website over a decade for a community club. The site contains over a decade of club events/shows etc plus many photos. I developed it in Seriff Webplus X8 and it is a 'large site' with 40 pages and some pages with lots of content. It acts as a repository of the club's history as well as attracting new members. I have had no troubles in uploading it to the 'web' using X8.
    However, Seriff is no longer supporting the software so I am in the process of redoing the site using Xara. However, I have only redone 13 pages (of which only 4 are finished) with a mobile variant and I am having trouble publishing the website using Xara Web designer Premium.
    I get the error message "Failed to setup bitmap for rendering. The requested bitmap may be too big." I assume this is related to the site size or page sizes but can not see why they have all published successfully in the past. I have tried to find information on Xara's file handling limitations without success to date.

I do not think my laptop is an issue as it is new with the top i7 Pentium chips, 16GB of ram and a 1 Tb SSD. Apart from Windows 10 it only has 'Office' and Xara installed.

If any one can point me to a forum/thread which would help enlighten me on this problem I would be grateful.

Extra note! I have just tried unticking 'retina images' and the site is now uploading. However, I have only done a small part of the original site and so am wondering if I will still run into problems. If the bitmap only related to individual pages I could probably work around it but if it relates to the full site I think I will have issues with the 'full site'.
    Hi Alty - I'm an experienced Webplus user and am wondering about moving to Xara. I would welcome your feedback and thoughts! Happy for you to PM me.