Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Render blocking

Default Render blocking

Hello there,

I've been learning from this forum since WD v7 so I'll start with a thank you for the help I've already had. I always meant to sign up before I had a problem that hadn't been covered, but... well you've heard it all before. Sorry, I'll try to contribute a bit from now on.

I've just converted my site to run responsively and everything seemed fine at first. I have an issue with Google periodically claiming my homepage is not mobile friendly (despite their tester saying it is) and I need to do a bit of image compression (it's very image heavy) to improve the load speed, but that's all in hand (I'll report back about the mobile friendly test - someone else on here was having a similar problem).

My main problem is that Google have just decided that the render blocking scripts are a must-fix problem on the mobile side and that goes against the way Xara generates code. I use a single accordian slider on the home page, but I have 6 gallery pages that between them use 45 small nivo sliders. These sliders are also smaller on the mobile variant, which means I have a total of 90 scripts running unnecessarily in the header of my landing page and Google say that's not okay.

I don't want to lose the sliders and they're only used on the gallery pages so I tried simply deleting them from the index page header html and everything seems to work fine, but I'm nervous there is something that might come to bite me down the line. Has anybody taken this approach and, clumsiness aside, are there any pitfalls?

Default Re: Render blocking

Which scripts excatly are you referring to?
    I have only V12 installed on this computer so I can't check in V11 at the moment.
    I have added a nivo slider and a Z Accordion 3 widget to a second page. The index.htm doesn't contain the calls of the scripts and css for them.
    That means the includes
    Code:
     <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/jquery.js"></script>
     <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/datamap.js"></script>
     <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/jquery.zaccordion.min.js"></script>
     <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/bx_zaccordionc_conf.js"></script>
     <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="index_htm_files/default.css"/>
     <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="index_htm_files/nivo-slider.css"/>
     <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/jquery.nivo.slider.pack.js"></script>
     <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/nivoslider_config.js"></script>
     <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/1.js"></script>
     <script type="text/javascript" src="index_htm_files/2.js"></script>
    are only done in the page2.htm.
    Maybe that has been a bug in V11?
    I could re-check that in V11 this evening if you like.

That was quick! Many thanks for your reply. The site is www.bessoceramique.co.uk. If you look at the source, the 92 scripts (1 & 2 are the accordian slider) are in every page on the site including the index page. If it only does this on v11, I don't think I have anything to worry about - just a bit of tidying before testing.

I can see the problem on your site, but it didn't reproduce in V11 and V10 with my test file. There has to be another condition that causes this strange behavior.
    I think it should be safe to delete them, but you also might create a support ticket. From my point of view that is a bug, or did you accidentally copy that code to the site head code?

As far as I can remember I haven't copied anything into the site header box (and there's nothing there now). The only non-standard thing is that the placeholders for the nivo sliders were tweaked as per Acorn's instructions in his/her Aug 2014 post - CSS Manipulation of Nivo Slider Widget. I can't see how that could have caused the problem though. I have loads of backup copies of the .web file - hopefully back to when I added the sliders. I'll generate from those and see if the problem appeared as soon as I added the sliders or later. If it's not reproducible, it can't really be a bug. I'll report back... Many, many thanks for your help.

I could reproduce your problem (even in V12). It happens the moment I create a variant. You should report this as a bug to Xara.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for reporting this, David Wright please let me know your support ticket number if you have already sent a ticket in. This issue has been logged as DDES-13317.

Thanks,
    Ben

Haven't logged it yet as I've been working today and I wanted to test out my back-ups to see when it started - no need now. I assume you don't need me to raise a support ticket if it's logged. Many thanks again siran for all your help.