Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: search feature

Default search feature

search feature for web designer.

Default Re: search feature

Have a look at https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...earch-function

I get the feeling they are not likely to add this feature

Xara's philosophy seems to me to be if someone else has a good solution, search, forms, etc., then let users add this with a placeholder.

I agree. There are so many functions/solutions that already exist, why reinvent the wheel?

Xara-designed websites are simply a static electronic book / booklet / page with flaps to hide and reveal stuff. I'll call these buckets.

To offer dynamic (changing) content, you have to serve it up into our static Xara buckets through the end-user asking for stuff and this poking about leads to the bucket being filled from the server.
    This requires some handshake and willingness at the server to help out.

Xara-designed websites do not rely on there being a server filling up the buckets.
    That is why a Xara-designed website can be run from a local filestore / CD / memory stick / The Cloud with nothing other that a web server.

To pretend that you have bucket-filling content, Xara allows linking into others' bucket fillers, called Widgets.
    There rely on other web addresses to provide the content; "Go run next door with a cup and borrow some sugar."
    Eventually your relentless borrowing loses the goodwill of your neighbour and the community in general (SEO plug here).

Now if Xara went that extra inch and provided the tools to set up PHP code and access to a MySQL (or even flat file) database then with a well-defined API, we could leverage in some really useful content for CMS control and searching.

You can simulate searching locally with a bit of effort using JavaScript and a simple flat file of form: <Keyword><Website Page location>.
    You can handcraft this yourself but Xara could deliver if all as part of the Export function for exceedingly very little effort.

Go figure,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I agree, but most have their advertising, like google.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    I agree, but most have their advertising, like google.
    Take the link Gary offered and look at the DuckDuckGo search site option,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn - You created a search function some time ago that I have been using at www.placitasartists.com that works very well.

I can't find it though. Maybe you sent it to me instead of posting the code here?

Have a look here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...616#post512616.
    It is possible to use DuckDuckGo instead of Google.

Acorn

Today we can buy for little money any modern customizable professional template for all CMS(WP, Joomla, Drupal etc...) and enjoy all the pleasures of modern design and server technologies.
    I honestly do not understand why we need to ride a bike with square wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalphaser View Post
    Today we can buy for little money any modern customizable professional template for all CMS(WP, Joomla, Drupal etc...) and enjoy all the pleasures of modern design and server technologies.
    I honestly do not understand why we need to ride a bike with square wheels.
    Sorry I've totally missed your point in the context of adding a search capability to a Xara design.

Acorn