Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHP

Default PHP

Hi,
    For various reasons I always write my web sites in PHP.

Within Xara it is easy to save files with the PHP extension except for the index file

Does anyone know how to change index.htm to index.php

Many thanks in advance

Default Re: PHP

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Many thanks for your reply Egg,
    I have followed your suggested link and followed the instructions for renaming the index file but on my system the index.php is neither uploaded or exported it still creates an index.htm file.
    Ed

did you create a page in the 'first position' and call it something else besides index?

for example - pages like this...

- dummy.htm (empty page)
    - index.php
    - contacts.php
    - stuff.php
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
    did you create a page in the 'first position' and call it something else besides index?

for example - pages like this...

- dummy.htm (empty page)
    - index.php
    - contacts.php
    - stuff.php

No it was plain index. I've found the only way I can do it is to change .htm to .php on the server. This is a bit of a pain but at least it works.
    I am surprised that Xara does not allow for php files in a more straight forward way. Maybe they will in a future update.

I have found a problem with this as well:-
    If you have a navigation menu bar the home (index) page is assumed to be index.htm
    Last edited by edkgb; 24 February 2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Add

no... that is what I'm trying to say... you NEED to create a bogus page and put it in position #1 - call it something like "dummy.htm" then make page 2 "index.php"
    Robert Steflik
    www.wfcentral.com
    ASUS Laptop / Windows 10 ---- Xara Designer Pro X11 ---- Xara owner since version 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by wfcentral View Post
    no... that is what I'm trying to say... you NEED to create a bogus page and put it in position #1 - call it something like "dummy.htm" then make page 2 "index.php"
    Many thanks, yes that is the solution.

What I do is to create 2 index pages, one named index.htm to satisfy Xara, the other named index.php. Works great. You can see an example here:
    http://silvashop.com/memcs/index.htm
    If you hover the pointer over the Home page link in the menu, you will see that it goes to index.php

Hi, question, what is the advantage to having .php over .htm?

Thank you

Ciao

Roly

On the example site I included, we have to use php in order to password protect it. Also, php sites allow you to add relevant information from a database - I think they call them "dynamic pages." We have a web site where our Instructors can list their classes, and you can search for seminars by location, date, Instructor, etc., and it will create a new page on the fly with the information you want. It seems that the easiest way to do that is with php.