Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Problems with Windows Scaling (e.g. "200%") when using a high resolution (4K) scr

Quote Originally Posted by JWellbelove View Post
    I've had issues with several programs since upgrading to 4K monitors, so I thought I'd share the fix I use to sort them out.

Right click on the application icon and select 'Properties'.

Select the 'Compatibility' tab.

Click the button 'Change high DPI settings'.

Tick the box 'Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program instead of the one in settings'.

Tick the box 'Override high DPI scaling behaviour.'

Select dropdown 'Scaling performed by: Application'

When you next run the application the text should not be blurry.
    Well I've just upgraded to a beautiful new HP Workstation and 2 x 32" 4K monitors for my home set up over the weekend, and just tonight reinstalled the latest Version of Xara, only to be confronted by the terrible blurry program window... pretty much unusable for me... :-( but your post was really useful. Thank you for sharing it! It at least offered me a practical way to get rid of the soft images. As the following poster said, following your instructions has made Xara's toolbars tiny, but I can just about cope with that I think for the limited graphics work I do at home. The text in the direct entry toolbar boxes for width and height etc., is a bit harder to deal with, as you can only see the top of the numbers, but it's still a massive improvement on the horrible soft graphics I saw when I first opened Xara on my new set up.

I suppose I can add my old monitor back at a push, just for Xara... if I find things becoming a problem.

Thanks again.

Default Re: Problems with Windows Scaling (e.g. "200%") when using a high resolution (4K) scr

I have moved this thread to Dear Xara in hopes Q&A will realize that this is another hurdle they need to get over.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I have moved this thread to Dear Xara in hopes Q&A will realize that this is another hurdle they need to get over.
    Any news on all this yet? After all, it's been 2.5 years since I started this thread!

Personally I am a 4K screen and run Windows 10 at a 175% scaling. I am still running Xara Designer Pro X10 but I am itching to buy a copy of Xara whose menus work properly with high res screens.

[For now I just work in "flying blind" mode with the graphics looking gorgeous, but I can't actually read most of the data fields the menu bars!!]

OP

I believe that Xara is stuck orbiting its own Black Hole as dramatic changes to the UI probably affect its core graphics engine or the developers' workload or its very inclination.

You choose.

To me, it sadly feels if it is all three.

Can you not use the MS Windows Magnifier in Docked Mode (200%) > Inverted Colours?
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

FWIW on my cintiq pro 24 at 3840 x 2160 and 100% scaling the xara interface, whilst not as sharp as CC 2019 photoshop, is readable and just about usable - very small and not ideal that said - better at 2560 x 1440
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    I believe that Xara is stuck orbiting its own Black Hole as dramatic changes to the UI probably affect its core graphics engine or the developers' workload or its very inclination.

You choose.

To me, it sadly feels if it is all three.

Can you not use the MS Windows Magnifier in Docked Mode (200%) > Inverted Colours?
    Acorn
    I'm not sure I understand.
    I need to use Windows 10 at 175% in order for all my other applications (e.g. MS Office, Photoshop etc etc) to have text large enough to read comfortably.

To recap the problem with Xara Designer Pro is that you are forced to choose between
    A) the menuing interface being clear and readable, but the graphics you are working on being blurred
    B) the graphics you are working on being pin sharp, but the menuing interface having text that is way too large for it, thereby making it more or less unusable.

I have been using Xara since the very first version in 1995! That's several lifetimes in the software universe.

Oh DEAR. So for the first time ever I'm going to have to seriously consider finding something other than Xara.

This is very very VERY not good.

so what is the difference in your settings between option A) and option B) I would like to check this out on my cintiq - out of interest what monitor[s] are you using...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    I'm not sure I understand.
    Windows has an application called Magnifier.Use it over the Xara menus.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    so what is the difference in your settings between option A) and option B) I would like to check this out on my cintiq - out of interest what monitor[s] are you using...
    Hello

Apologies for the delay (though I now fear that this whole issue - indeed possibly even Xara itself) is now a lost cause.

Monitor: Viewsonic "VP2780-4K 27-inch 4K Ultra HD IPS Professional Monitor"
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Graphics Card
    Resolution: Running at full "4K" 3840 x 2160pixels
    Windows Scaling: 175% (otherwise all my text everywhere gets too small!)

Here are some screenshots.

It seems that if you change the properties on you shortcut to XDP then you get very different results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delme_xara_01.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	125237

OR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delme_xara_02.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	125238

i.e. If I DO tick the "High DPI Scaling Override" in the Windows shortcut to XDP, then I get a nice sharp view of my Xara document, but I can't read the menus.
    OR
    If I DON'T tick the "High DPI Scaling Override in the shortcut then I get a BLURRED view of my Xara document, but nice clear menus.

Am I doing something wrong?

...Or after all this time has Xara badly - badly - badly lost it's way?

J

Hi my turn to apologise for the delay

I checked this with my cintiq pro 24 at its recommended settings of 3840 x 2160 and 200% windows scaling [I also double checked with 175% windows scaling but it did not make any real difference to 200% except for the obvious size shift]

yes I get similar results as you - with option 1 the menu is too small to read at a distance, but I can read it when drawing directly onto the screen, so from my point of view that is not so bad - with option two the program, both menu and drawing area, are slightly blurred, same as the windows interface is, on widows scaling

I don't think you are doing anything wrong - xara UI needs an overhaul, but I doubt it is a priority at the moment...

you could try this - but I dont think it makes any difference:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-10-05 12_45_08-Settings.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	125310  
    Nothing lasts forever...